Does anyone have experience with this ML?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could try some "no excuses" if you had a mind to.. They would work well in that twist,,, i shot the 495 grain really well in my 48 twist,,, & you can order a trial pak of sized bullets to get the correct fit ie easy to load size... (Products Archive - NO EXCUSES MUZZLELOADING BULLETS) does the frizzen have a "roller" on it? kind looks like so compared to the pistol... should be a fun project! i'd say one wad is good as another... but i plan to try some 'poly" wads at some point,, (i was reading somewhere a guy testing had a significant decrease in group size with them)..

Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of those. And the price seems fair.
But just looking at 50 caliber 600 grains makes my shoulder hurt 😂 I was hoping to see a 320gr available.
I'll keep those in mind when I start playing around more with my 1876 lever in 45-60.

I don''t know what a frizzen roller is. But I looked at pictures and think I know why you asked. Does the part that contacts the frizzen spring actually have a roller bearing on it that spins? Mine is just a solid piece of metal touching the spring.

Mine is just a solid piece of metal touching the spring.

Thats the way most flinters are made. Some present day locks follow the pattern of higher end English locks and have a roller on the frizzen but most are a friction ride on the frizzen spring.

This is a zoom on a present day L&R Manton lock you can probably make out the roller. 20230328_180012_copy_600x627.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of those. And the price seems fair.
But just looking at 50 caliber 600 grains makes my shoulder hurt 😂 I was hoping to see a 320gr available.
I'll keep those in mind when I start playing around more with my 1876 lever in 45-60.

I don''t know what a frizzen roller is. But I looked at pictures and think I know why you asked. Does the part that contacts the frizzen spring actually have a roller bearing on it that spins? Mine is just a solid piece of metal touching the spring.
i shot the 495grain bullets they make a 420grain bullet too... i don't like they really heavy recoiling ones either,, bought a past recoil pad to wear on my shoulder,, ( i can hear my late dad calling me a sissy over this!!) because of that,, i just don't like having a sore shoulder,, i don't mind getting it its the next day or 2..... lots of people swear by these no excuse bullets,,, especially on game.. they (495grainer) grouped 1.5 inch or 2 at 50 yds for me & my tc hawken...(80 grains 2f schuetzen with over the powder wad)... your rig looks like it would be a great rifle for the deer woods to me!!

I haven't shot it since that first range session.
I've been playing with a Pedersoli Kentucky .32 and Indian Trade Musket. And the lousy weather. I figured the Traditions shot so well that first time that there wasn't going to be much dialing it in. Not like the other two, especially the smoothie.

I might not shoot it again until the end of summer. Or I get some maxi balls cast. Whichever comes first.

Back