Does anyone have experience with this ML?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Tennessee rifle is the lesser known mate to the Kentucky rifle that Traditions marketed some years back.
They still offer the Kentucky but the Tennessee is no longer in production.
I found mine online as NOS, that someone still had a few of in stock, a few years ago. I can't remember the company.
Mine has a 1/66 twist 24 inch barrel. It shoots pretty good with a .495 ball, .010 cotton patch over about 75 grains V of 3f Swiss.

Wow, what a coincidence! Same model rifle & ignition system on two different forums.

Well, Traditions puts the twist on their barrels so you'll find out when it arrives. Let us know what it says.

Walt

I did say what the twist rate was and that the seller posted a picture of it. You even quoted my post.

That Tennessee rifle is the lesser known mate to the Kentucky rifle that Traditions marketed some years back.
They still offer the Kentucky but the Tennessee is no longer in production.
I found mine online as NOS, that someone still had a few of in stock, a few years ago. I can't remember the company.
Mine has a 1/66 twist 24 inch barrel. It shoots pretty good with a .495 ball, .010 cotton patch over about 75 grains V of 3f Swiss.

The serial# has a -95 at the end of it.
I'm guessing that's when it was made?

If that is indeed a 1/32” rifle I bet it would shoot lewis’s “I” bullet very well

It arrived early. Couldn't believe it when the mail carrier said she had a big box for me.
Nifty little rifle. Good spark and the set triggers work. And best of all I can see a good sight picture.
Cool, look forward to a range report.
Just an FYI, I buy my flints from Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading. Black English flints are about $ 2.50 a piece.
You can only order a dozen at a time but that's plenty to last quite a while.
Their shipping is very reasonable.

I just got some flints from them a week or two ago. I needed some for my Brown Bess and the pistol I just built. I'm pretty sure the flints for my other ML are the same size as this one. But this flint appears to be new. It wasn't even tightened.

I could go ahead and put some balls through it today... and I still might... but I'd really like to wait until those GP conicals get here so I can shoot both.

I had to back off from TOW Blk. Eng. flints. Last 2 dz i bough last month had too many humped n fissures, that would break my flints into pcs when striking the frizzen

No kidding, the ones I bought seemed to be fine.
Maybe they got in a bad batch.
I don't know, last time shooting my Woodsman Hawken, 3 flints in 4 shots broke n or crumbed. I don't have that kind of funds to keep up with that. I think i will order a dz. amber flints from Heritage next month when my SS flying eagles come in

So, what rate of twist is stamped on the barrel?

Walt

See below conversation earlier in this thread.

That's a Traditions Tennessee Rifle with a 24" barrel and a 1/66" RB twist as stated by the seller.

Walt, are you speaking to me?
I'm confused. The seller of this stated the twist and even had a picture of it in their listing. It's a 1:32.

I wish it was 1:66. Then I wouldn't have to experiment with all these conicals, lol.

Seriously, how many times do I have to keep saying it?

See below conversation earlier in this thread.

Walt, are you speaking to me?
I'm confused. The seller of this stated the twist and even had a picture of it in their listing. It's a 1:32.

I wish it was 1:66. Then I wouldn't have to experiment with all these conicals, lol.

Seriously, how many times do I have to keep saying it?
Hey inquiring minds like to learn things. Ummm that be the cats meow twist n a rock sparker too. You just can't beat that with a stick !

I just hate repeating myself. It's like he didn't believe me when I said it the first time.

Anyway... too wet to shoot for fun today, but I did take a couple pics.
Along with the KY kit gun I just built. A pair of 50's.

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7792.JPG

I've got half a mind to French gray the barrel...

I just hate repeating myself. It's like he didn't believe me when I said it the first time.

Anyway... too wet to shoot for fun today, but I did take a couple pics.

View attachment 30601

View attachment 30602

I've got half a mind to French gray the barrel...
Boy hidy that is a really cool rock sparker carbine. Nice set of of ML's, congrats

It's a nice looking rifle.
You've been given a lot of info for shooting conicals through your rifle.
I hope they all shoot well.
The 1:32 is about the perfect non-competitive twist for lead conicals.
I was thinking of having a .54 barrel made with that same twist.

It's a 1:32.
What I meant by non-competitive was, the twist allows you to play with a lot of different the loads and grains of powder. In theory, (that's all I know of it) the faster twist is for longer bullets with a higher sectional density. However, the faster the twist the tighter the accurate loads will be.

Back