Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here I set with a 40 year old mindset and a 78 year old body governing what I can do! I was really active, shooting , hunting, cutting wood and etc until my check engine light came on when I was 70. Two worn out knees bone on bone, a bovine valve in my heart and a pace maker has applied the emergency brake on life slightly. Along with that luggage comes shortness of breath with most any activity but I bless our Lord each morning for another fine day to enjoy!

Big John

I'm 68, and I've had a good couple of weeks. Got a javelina and an aoudad. The aoudad was 2 miles from the truck and 700 vertical feet below it. I learned a long time ago to field butcher animals. Bones are heavy and don't taste that good. I used to go up that hill in 45 minutes. Now it takes twice that long. I'm just grateful, I still can.

Yesterday was fairly warm. I was gone overnight, and I was quite surprised to see how much snow had melted off during the time I was gone. The southern hillside has green grass coming up, and I had 12 deer eating the grass this evening. I had not seen them for about a week.
If one pays attention to the news, buys gas or groceries, or flounders around in the spring mud it is pretty easy to get frustrated. Watching the critters and nature greening up is a pretty big pick up for this guy. Life is pretty darn good.

I'm 65 on the downhill side to 66. Can't walk far, though in decent shape everyone tells me. Had a popleal(sp) aneurism last year and am still recuperating.
Just milled some old growth redwood 9x9x 14' posts at the cabin with a shooting buddy, but used chokers, cable, shackles, and chain to get things where they needed to be situated. Old age has taught me to work smarter, not harder. But it seems like the saws get heavier every year. I'm preferring a 16" bar with a smaller powerhead compared to the 30" and ported 460 I usually run, call me a wimp I guess.
My shooting buddy says if we get an elk or deer this year we need to kill it CLOSE to access cause we are going to have a might bit of trouble getting it out if it's in a tough spot. And I actually agreed with him.
Edit to add I split a half cord of euc this afternoon to give to a friend that has cancer and asked for some firewood, but I used the thumb on my excavator to move the 3-5 foot rounds and my big splitter to get things done in less than an hour. See smarter, not harder, but I still worked up a sweat.

Last edited:
Many moons ago, when 3 wheelers first came out I bought a Honda. When it was sitting in elk camp, it was not unusual for someone to stop and ask for a favor. Some days I think I spent more time hauling meat than hunting.
There were few off road restrictions in those days, and with a saw you could get pretty far off road.

Still going as hard as I can at 75, but my wheels spin a lot and I’m not talking about my ATV😁. It’s gotten really hard to load a deer but I have a hand winch I can attach to a tree or inside my truck bed and it gets the job done. I still hunt alone a lot and that may end badly one day, it everyone I‘m close to knows I’m aware of the risks.

It/s never a good idea to hunt alone no matter how old you are, I have done it and got away with it, but I know better now. Tree stand accidents are a reality and I knew a guy who crawled a mile and was out of cell phone range. It is just a risk not well taken. I read the story once of a guy who got trapped in a tree and almost froze to death. Hope you can make your last years good ones.

Still going as hard as I can at 75, but my wheels spin a lot and I’m not talking about my ATV😁. It’s gotten really hard to load a deer but I have a hand winch I can attach to a tree or inside my truck bed and it gets the job done. I still hunt alone a lot and that may end badly one day, it everyone I‘m close to knows I’m aware of the risks.
Much respect. Thats just awesome to hear. My grandpa hunted & took his boat out up to 73 when cancer hit hard & fast & he was dead at 74. Keep doin what you love to do until you cant do it anymore. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

It/s never a good idea to hunt alone no matter how old you are, I have done it and got away with it, but I know better now. Tree stand accidents are a reality and I knew a guy who crawled a mile and was out of cell phone range. It is just a risk not well taken. I read the story once of a guy who got trapped in a tree and almost froze to death. Hope you can make your last years good ones.
Yes, you're right, hunting alone, takin your boat out alone, the risk is higher if something goes a wry, but I've mostly hunted alone & now at nearly 60 & not in good health I still take my self climber out & hunt alone. I finally wised up facing the fact that I cant drag even a smaller Florida deer very far at all. So I bought a der cart last yr. Its still really hard to get a deer out from where I hunt, I'll fall down numerous times & have to stop & rest every 50 yds. But in the end, when the deer is all processed & in the freezer which I do everything myself/alone, it's a great feeling & I'm proud of it. I'll keep doin it until I can not any longer, regardless of when that time is. I already know that I will not be doing any of the things that some of you older fellers are still capable of. My hats off to you & much respect.

Back