Double PRB shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonE

Reaction score
I had this happen once at a club shoot, I never saw the hit marks on the target because of the other shooters... so while out at the gravel pit this past Monday with my brother, I decided to load a double PRB over 60gr of FFg. The first time, the target stand got knocked over, so I decided to repaint the gong and shoot it again, and I got to say, you can't ask for better results than this. We were only shooting at 25 yards, and the day was mostly for my brother to shoot a muzzleloader for the first time..... he really loved it and had me take him by a friends house who has lots of muzzleloaders, which many are for sale. My brother is buying a Hawken style in 50 cal now.

Double ball shot.jpg

My understanding is that double loading was fairly common with people loading their pistols as a defensive weapon. I would imagine at a close range, they would be pretty effective.

Nice shooting! Black Powder Maniac Shooter has a couple of videos where he shoots various double roundball (patched and not) through a cap lock Traditions .50 Hawken-style rifle, a .50 flintlock Pedersoli Kentucky rifle, and a flintlock smoothbore .62
Some of the results were surprising.
‘Poet

double ball and buck and ball were common enough it the day. Double ball loads I have heard were not uncommon as "guard" loads. I had a double patched ball load for of my 54's in case I got a draw on moose in a specific location while living in Alaska. Just have to be sure the second ball is seated well on the first one. Otherwise no more problem than single ball. This is the way I did it, your milage may vary.

Nice shooting! Black Powder Maniac Shooter has a couple of videos where he shoots various double roundball (patched and not) through a cap lock Traditions .50 Hawken-style rifle, a .50 flintlock Pedersoli Kentucky rifle, and a flintlock smoothbore .62
Some of the results were surprising.
‘Poet

Yep I follow Mark

Latest posts

Back