Drilling out the breech plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
Is this pretty common practice. Logic would tell me that you would get better ignition if the diameter of the channel from the primer to the powder was larger. Is this the case or not? If so, how big is too big? :?:

I believe it effects accuracy with too large of a hole. Thats why there is a market for breech plugs and Savage ventliners, because they wear with time and change accuracy. My Knight NFPJ BP has approx 1" of 1/8" diameter flash channel before it restricts to an "orifice" before meeting the powder charge. I have wondered if the orifice was bigger, would it let more gas back to the shooter or change the pressure in the bore to let the charge ignite.

I do it all the time. Just buy a spare plug, and get some Numbered drill bits, and try some modifications.

I shoot a 45cal Disc Elite

I modify the Knight Domed plug- also sold for the Revolution. I make it EXACTLY like the NFPJ plug, but open the small flash hole with a #60 bit, and this will ignite BH209 every time, with next to no blow back. This way I can still use the red jackets that eject well. :D 8)

The bare primers stick in the NFPJ plug, and will ONLY come out with excessive Bolt Rattling :x :evil:

Lane, thats been my experience too. Work on the NFPJ primer ejector mod and let me know when you have it perfected :wink:

breech plug cleaner

I just bought a wire brush cleaner from T/C at Gander Mtn. that is specifically made to clean and scrub out the fire channel end of the Omega breech plug. It was about $4.99 and it is listed on Thompson/Center's website catalouge.

If it is anything at all like mine, you will still need to use the bit. That carbon is hard as a rock.

MQ32shooter said:
If it is anything at all like mine, you will still need to use the bit. That carbon is hard as a rock.

+1 ...i use a 1/8" drill bit to clean by T/C ENCORE breech plug ...i also bought the brush which is useless ....

Latest posts

Back