Early Knight Wolverine - 209 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CZVZ

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Knight Wolverine purchased in the early-mid 90's will a #11 plunger/plug. I would like to convert to a 209 system with Knight #M900603 conversion kit. There website claims, in bold red letters that this will work for breach plugs measuring 5/8". Measuring with a calipers, mine measure's .614" vs .625" = 5/8". I just want to make sure this will fit my gun before I order it.... And, is this breach plug, Blackhorn 209 friendly??? I see in the Blackhorn 209 do's and don'ts, a Wolverine 209 is good. But I don't know if that applies to a factory original 209 Wolverine vs. a 209 conversion kit Wolverine???

A Safe and Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!!

CZVZ

Knight had 2 plug sizes 5/8th and 11/16th.
5/8 = .6250
11/16 = .6875
So yours has to be a 5/8 plug.

No you do not want to use BH209 in plunger guns. That info is right on Westerns website. Its for sealed/enclosed actions only.

Thanks GM54-120, went to Westerns website and I see the sealed/enclosed actions recommendation, my confusion was from the BH209 do's and don't sticky listing a Knight Wolverine 209 being good to go. Now, my new question, is it worthwhile investment to upgrade my Wolverine to 209 ignition? I really like the weight/balance of the gun and the adjustable trigger. My application is White Tail deer hunting in Minnesota which has no restrictions on primer ignition systems. So is a 209 primer that much more reliable than # 11? I can't recall ever having a misfire with #11 and loose pyrodex. I see the conversion kits online for 50-75 dollars.

CZVZ

Thanks GM54-120, went to Westerns website and I see the sealed/enclosed actions recommendation, my confusion was from the BH209 do's and don't sticky listing a Knight Wolverine 209 being good to go. Now, my new question, is it worthwhile investment to upgrade my Wolverine to 209 ignition? I really like the weight/balance of the gun and the adjustable trigger. My application is White Tail deer hunting in Minnesota which has no restrictions on primer ignition systems. So is a 209 primer that much more reliable than # 11? I can't recall ever having a misfire with #11 and loose pyrodex. I see the conversion kits online for 50-75 dollars.

CZVZ
I got a bk--92 knight and ive used blackhorn in it with a simple modification (i call it that but it really isnt) BUT i would NOT recomend it . You have no idea what a PAIN IN THE AXX it is unless youve tried it !!!! NO IDEA !!! You are MUCH better off with that#11 or a musket cap and 3f T7 powder . MUCH BETTER !!! The factory red plastic jacket 209 conversion isnt worth doing for that . Why add the expense and have it do a half ask job and be stuck buying RPJ 's too ?? Honestly , if you really wanna use blackhorn get a newer design gun . I just did . Sorry but ive just told you the absolute truth . Please , please believe that .

Last edited:
"The #11 cap will NOT ignite BH209”.

I got it to work just fine in my grandson’s LKII using the #11 cap but I made a significantly reduced load for it:

I poured 8 grains of Triple 7 down the barrel first which filled the breech plug’s flash channel. Then I poured 50 grains of BH209 by volume on top of that. Then I pushed a 155gr 10mm Barnes TAC-XP in a blue Harverstor sabot down the barrel.

It fired every time and the reduced load was easy on his shoulder plus there was no smoke cloud out in front of the blind. I believe the velocity was in the 1450 fps range.

I don’t think I’d try it with more BH209 than I did.

(I realize some on here might go bonkers over this but I believe this created less pressure than if I had used 100 gr of Triple 7). :confused:

"The #11 cap will NOT ignite BH209”.

I got it to work just fine in my grandson’s LKII using the #11 cap but I made a significantly reduced load for it:

I poured 8 grains of Triple 7 down the barrel first which filled the breech plug’s flash channel. Then I poured 50 grains of BH209 by volume on top of that. Then I pushed a 155gr 10mm Barnes TAC-XP in a blue Harverstor sabot down the barrel.

It fired every time and the reduced load was easy on his shoulder plus there was no smoke cloud out in front of the blind. I believe the velocity was in the 1450 fps range.

I don’t think I’d try it with more BH209 than I did.
Yea Doc White spoke of doing that too. I tried it but with a.much bigger load . Think i'll just stay with t7 3f in my plungers when my 50 disc gets set up for blackhorn . That duplex could get to be alot going on at times . Miss the first powder and then have no BANG , just my luck id have my crosshairs on bullwinkle about then !!! Ya see i happen to know the clown on THIS side of the keyboard.......

I've given upon the Idea of using BH209 and I am not going to get the 209 conversion. Thanks to all that have chimed in.

New question.
Can I convert my Knight Wolverine to use musket caps vs. #11's? Im assuming it would involve changing the nipple? Dose anyone have Spec's/Model #'s/Source's/or supplier's for a musket nipple that will work in my Knight Wolverine?

Thanks again
CZVZ

Yea Doc White spoke of doing that too. I tried it but with a.much bigger load . Think i'll just stay with t7 3f in my plungers when my 50 disc gets set up for blackhorn . That duplex could get to be alot going on at times . Miss the first powder and then have no BANG , just my luck id have my crosshairs on bullwinkle about then !!! Ya see i happen to know the clown on THIS side of the keyboard.......

I only used this hybrid load for the initial charge in the LKII. The powder charges I carried in his possibles bag for follow up shots were all 60 grains of Triple 7.

I've given upon the Idea of using BH209 and I am not going to get the 209 conversion. Thanks to all that have chimed in.

New question.
Can I convert my Knight Wolverine to use musket caps vs. #11's? Im assuming it would involve changing the nipple? Dose anyone have Spec's/Model #'s/Source's/or supplier's for a musket nipple that will work in my Knight Wolverine?

Thanks again
CZVZ
Knight should have them in parts department . I tried a tc musket nipple once and it was too short -- wouldnt fire . Be carefull of the lengths !!!!

Latest posts

Back