Eastern Oklahoma Ozarks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It took me way too long to get into muzzleloading, but here I am. Brand new to all of it. Recently purchased my 1st, Walmart clearanced CVA Wolf, V2.
I'll be seeking advice and reading what I can so as to hopefully not ask too many of the questions that have been answered before.
I intend to stay around and make some friends here as well, not just be that person who shows up, asks some questions and is never seen again.
My primary focus for the muzzleloader is deer hunting. Pretty much just on my own homestead. I've been deer hunting for most of my life. It's a sacred thing.
I fear that I may end up purchasing more muzzleloaders..

Glad to be here.

First, Welcome from Michigan.

I've been deer hunting for most of my life. It's a sacred thing.
Sounds like you will fit in. No fear in having more muzzle loaders. We will help you through it. 😂

What bullet would you like to shoot? What powder is available?? What Primers are available??

First, Welcome from Michigan.

Sounds like you will fit in. No fear in having more muzzle loaders. We will help you through it. 😂

What bullet would you like to shoot? What powder is available?? What Primers are available??

I am brand new, so I'm looking for advice. I likely won't be shooting over 100 yds here. The 240-250 gr bullets seem light for a rifle, but what do I know.

Welcome from Illinois.

You'll find most use a projectile around 250gr. But plenty here for you to read up on. And lots of range time finding what your rifle likes is most of the fun.

Thank you all. I'm roughly sighted in at 40 yds with 240g lead bullets.

How bad (kick) are 300+ with 150g pellets..? 😬
I haven't found anything saying not to with the Wolf, but..

Thank you all. I'm roughly sighted in at 40 yds with 240g lead bullets.

How bad (kick) are 300+ with 150g pellets..? 😬
I haven't found anything saying not to with the Wolf, but..
Agree with above that it will kick hard. There is no need for it. You can easily kill with 70 grains of powder saving your shoulder and getting what I think would be better accuracy. Accuracy is all. If you cant put the bullet where you want it more power is useless. Concentrate on accuracy and you will kill deer.

It took me way too long to get into muzzleloading, but here I am. Brand new to all of it. Recently purchased my 1st, Walmart clearanced CVA Wolf, V2.
I'll be seeking advice and reading what I can so as to hopefully not ask too many of the questions that have been answered before.
I intend to stay around and make some friends here as well, not just be that person who shows up, asks some questions and is never seen again.
My primary focus for the muzzleloader is deer hunting. Pretty much just on my own homestead. I've been deer hunting for most of my life. It's a sacred thing.

Glad to be here.
Welcome, from NWA!

Glad to be here.
I'm glad to hear that you're getting into muzzleloading. It's enjoyable! If you need accessories like cleaning supplies, scopes, bullets, etc. I recommend muzzleloader depot. Here is their link. https://muzzleloaderdepot.com/

Back