Ed' 347g HP Homecast

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i were going to use them in a sabot i would probably try a 20-1 or 30-1 alloy. Less chance of deforming the nose when loading a sabot.

And IF i really really liked them i would have the mold re-cut to remove the lube grooves.

GM54-120 said:
If i were going to use them in a sabot i would probably try a 20-1 or 30-1 alloy. Less chance of deforming the nose when loading a sabot.

And IF i really really liked them i would have the mold re-cut to remove the lube grooves.
ABSOLUTE BLASPHEMY!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

flounder said:
GM54-120 said:

ABSOLUTE BLASPHEMY!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I Know but someone asked !!!
:D

Saxtonyoung said:
These bullets will perform just fine in a sabot. You can even use them without sizing them in a MMP orange sabot or a Harvester crushed rib.

So these are .458 ?....I have orange mmps sabots on hand....just looking looking to see if I need to place another order for sabots

My 457122 mold generally will cast in the .457 range with soft lead but can be sized to suit your specific needs.

Mountain molds and i believe LBT molds will cut you a custom 2 cavity mold but they dont do hollow points. It would be pretty simple to have them make a "Gould" clone in a smaller caliber. Mountain actually has a online design interface in the upper left of the homepage.

By the time you buy a couple sizing dies to take a .458 down to .451ish, you are half way there to just getting a 2 cavity die in the caliber you want. IIRC they are $100 for a 2 cavity and around $80 for a single.

GM54-120 said:
If i were going to use them in a sabot i would probably try.....

It would look similar to this 0.451"...
Ron tested this with 80gr Vol on his list.

Attachments

• 45 380 PP.JPG
    45 380 PP.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 174
Just an FYI on sizing.
Gould bullet run thru a piece of barrel (0.450"/0.458").

Attachments

• Sizing b.JPG
    Sizing b.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 175
Took my 10yr old grandson out shooting today with his .451 White M97. I just finished swapping out his Lyman Peep sight with my old Leupold 3x9 scope. He shot today at 75 yards on a rest. To say the least, he was quite happy when he went down and checked on his target. His load is 55gr of 777-3F, felt wad, and my 3477gr HP bullets. He claims the deer are in big trouble this year. LOL

http://i.imgur.com/zzrFS0v.jpg

edmehlig said:
Took my 10yr old grandson out shooting today with his .451 White M97. I just finished swapping out his Lyman Peep sight with my old Leupold 3x9 scope. He shot today at 75 yards on a rest. To say the least, he was quite happy when he went down and checked on his target. His load is 55gr of 777-3F, felt wad, and my 3477gr HP bullets. He claims the deer are in big trouble this year. LOL

http://imgur.com/zzrFS0v

Looks to me like you have deer jerky in your future!!

There is no doubt with that smile (and target) that deer are in trouble!

GM54-120 said:
Mountain molds and i believe LBT molds will cut you a custom 2 cavity mold but they dont do hollow points. It would be pretty simple to have them make a "Gould" clone in a smaller caliber. Mountain actually has a online design interface in the upper left of the homepage.

By the time you buy a couple sizing dies to take a .458 down to .451ish, you are half way there to just getting a 2 cavity die in the caliber you want. IIRC they are $100 for a 2 cavity and around $80 for a single.

I had no issues sizing the Gould bullet to .450 using a Lyman sizer die without having to use a intermediate size first. Already having the mold is the reason I originally tempted to do this. If I had no mold, your suggestion of acquiring a one close to diameter need would be the best approach.

Saxtonyoung said:
GM54-120 said:

I had no issues sizing the Gould bullet to .450 using a Lyman sizer die without having to use a intermediate size first. Already having the mold is the reason I originally tempted to do this. If I had no mold, your suggestion of acquiring a one close to diameter need would be the best approach.

Ditto no issues as long as they are lubed with either my Lee .451 or .452 sizing dies. Unlubed that's a different story.

Back