Elk bullet 400? 450?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longbowelk

Reaction score
It's been a few years back when I shot my first cow elk with my TC Hawken 50. Best I remember it was 40 yards using an old Buffalo Ballet that weighed 245 grains. Last couple years I revived my elk hunts to ML from archery due to shoulder problems. I been casting my own 445 gr lead conicals. Recently got a new mold from Accurate that I haven't cast yet the 50-400W. I'm thinking it should come out 400 to 410 grains using 1 in 40 or pure lead. I have read a lot of threads and post here on heavy vs light etc. I been using 67.5 gr by wt Black MZ. With the 445's. The question is would the 400 be adequate for elk at 150yds or less? 445 vs 400 with same 67.5 gr charge . Obviously the 400 would be faster with better trajectory. That 67.5 is around 80 to 82vol.

That 400 Grain Bullet is Plenty adequate and then some! The key is to Put it where the Elk lives, Lungs/Heart, You will be notching your Elk Tag

Here is a Cow from this year (actually last year now) that a Friend killed with my Smallest .50 Cal bullet, Accurate Molds #50-385M, These bullets weigh 395 Grains with 1-40 Alloy. The Bullet passed through the Elk Broadside and was not Recovered
pdITgQAm.jpg

This Ole Cow didn’t argue over the Bullet weighing 395 Grains :)
H3eNbEQl.jpg

Back