Elk Horn Source

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I have been on the look out for sources of deer and elk antlers for use in various projects. 
Imagine my surprise when I found a new one... in a Petsmart. 

Q4Su1U.jpg

Yes, apparently, people are buying elk antlers for dog chews. Real elk antler. 
(Shrug) I bought one and took it home. (I need new drawer handles.) 

So, if you need more antler fast, look for pet stores.

I collected over 50 lbs. of shed elk antlers while scouting in Wyoming and Montana. I even found a nice 6 pt. shed on top of a 12,000' mountain near Bridger pass. I had all kinds of things made out of them like chandeliers, legs for tables, etc. But the nicest is a burl that a friend carved a bighorn sheep head on to make a belt buckle.

Sadly, the rest of them laid around the barn until the Florida humidity turned them to powder and chalk after ~30 years.

We have ordered antlers from an internet pet store, chewy.com or from bestbullysticks.com.
You can get them individually or in a packet and can order particular sizes. The sizes range from 4-5 inches up to 9.5 inches plus. They run about $6-7 each and are a little less expensive if you get them in packages of 3 or so.
On bestbullysticks, the mixed-size bag is priced by pound, currently $22 for 1 pound and $44 for two pounds.
PetSmart has them and had really big ones, but they tend to be more expensive than chewy or bestbullysticks.
I have made 50, 60 and 70 gr measures from these antlers. I drill a hole lengthwise and measure the amount of powder held along the way. I also cut a small groove on the outer edge so the powder dispenses in a controlled fashion. Another hole is drilled near the point end across the antler and a leather thong put through.
Ron

I purchased 3 Elk tips from Ebay awhile back.  I wanted to try my hand at making some powder measures.  This one was my first try.  90grain capacity for my .58 cal. I think the longest tip is 6 1/2".   The smaller tips are from a whitetail shed antler for smaller powder measures.

T369xF.jpg

I gave 10 shed deer antlers, mostly spikes and squirrel-chewed ones, to a fellow on another forum. He sent me back some nice carved "totems". A carved bear, bison, arrowhead, and eagle feather. 
I thought that was awfully nice of him.

Kentucky Colonel said:
I have been on the look out for sources of deer and elk antlers for use in various projects. 
Imagine my surprise when I found a new one... in a Petsmart. 

Yes, apparently, people are buying elk antlers for dog chews. Real elk antler. 
(Shrug) I bought one and took it home. (I need new drawer handles.) 

So, if you need more antler fast, look for pet stores.
Same goes for pieces of pretty good rawhide )dog chews), good for knife sheaths or liners for sheaths.

Sold hundreds of pounds of elk and deer horns over the years. When you live in a prime hunting area and next to a National Park system place horns were always being found. The last bunch (a 50 pound bag) when for some pretty good money about 8 months ago on Guns International.

Latest posts

Back