Encore 209x50 Load Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRH

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering what hunting bullet/ sabot/ load, other Encore owners would recommend? I would be using Blackhorn Powder, probably 100 - 110 grains. I’ ve used Powerbelts and pellets in the past and would like to upgrade. I was thinking Barnes 250 TEZ’ s but have no experience. Thanks

Hello,
I was wondering what hunting bullet/ sabot/ load, other Encore owners would recommend? I would be using Blackhorn Powder, probably 100 - 110 grains. I’ ve used Powerbelts and pellets in the past and would like to upgrade. I was thinking Barnes 250 TEZ’ s but have no experience. Thanks
I've sent more than I could ever count of 110grs VOLUME of BH209 and both the 250gr TMZ and the 290gr TMZ. Many whitetail have fallen to both.
Wish I had my last 209x50 Encore back :(

I have two Encores a 50 and a custom 45, I use Lehigh bullets in both with 120 grains volume of BH and have had excellent results for the past 5 years ,I like 250 gain bullets in the 50 and 200 grain bullets in the 45.the longest shot I have had so far is 188 yards but I am confident out to 250 yd if needed. I hunt deer boar and black bear.

I've been using 120gr Blackhorn and the Barnes 250 TMZ and 290 TMZ bullets in my 209x50. Shoots great but I've always had difficulty getting 2nd-3rd-4th shots down the barrel unless I used a moist patch in-between shots. I'm probably the only guy on this site that has this problem but it's persistent.

I've been using 120gr Blackhorn and the Barnes 250 TMZ and 290 TMZ bullets in my 209x50. Shoots great but I've always had difficulty getting 2nd-3rd-4th shots down the barrel unless I used a moist patch in-between shots. I'm probably the only guy on this site that has this problem but it's persistent.
Might try the T-EZ

I'm in pretty much the same boat as everyone else... 80gr. by weight and 285gr Barnes spitfire boat-tail... It's lights out with that load. I've been using it for about 10 years now.

Charlie, This problem has turned up before I used some oil that had Teflon in it and once it was stuck to the barrel I had a bad time and it was difficult to get out.

Charlie, This problem has turned up before I used some oil that had Teflon in it and once it was stuck to the barrel I had a bad time and it was difficult to get out.

I don't think that is causing the problem I experience. Based on advice I received here, I cleaned the barrel thoroughly on several occasions. I even gave the bore a good cleaning with JB compound. None of that seemed to help. I did use a borescope to see if something could be determined and noticed that there was quite a bit of tooling marks in the bore. This may, or may not, be causing the problem.

I have a T/C Pro Hunter frame with a Bergara .50 barrel. 90 grains by volume, 63 grains by weight, of Blackhorn and the .45 caliber, 300grain Hornady XTP Mag. I shot 80 to 110 grains of Blackhorn with these bullets and 90 grains (volume) got me this best accuracy, any load with more powder and the groups opened up real fast.

sam-arkie, that's pretty much the barrel / frame combination I have. What primers are you using?

Hello,
I have
Hello,
I have an TC Encore 50 cal. Approx. 25 yrs old. I shoot TEZ 290 but I replace the blue sabot with the TC yellow sabot. 100 grains by volume of Black Horn 209. Easily Touching holes at 100 yrds. Can easily shoot 8-10 accurate shots with swabbing the barrel!!

Back