Encore .500 as a smolkless front loader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

Reaction score
Why would it not be possible to take a T/C Encore with a Smith/Wesson .500 barrel and turn out a brass insert in the shape of a standard .500 round but about 1/2 the length? Set it up for a rifle or pistol primer and load as a muzzle loader with smolkless powder....actually a number of the inserts could be made with primers in place for several shots without re-priming a single insert. Looks to me this would be a simple safe way to have both; a muzzleloader and a cartridge gun all in one. Please let me know if any one is doing this and if so how is it working? Thanks in advance, Charles

Sekiar said:
Why would it not be possible to take a T/C Encore with a Smith/Wesson .500 barrel and turn out a brass insert in the shape of a standard .500 round but about 1/2 the length? Set it up for a rifle or pistol primer and load as a muzzle loader with smolkless powder....actually a number of the inserts could be made with primers in place for several shots without re-priming a single insert. Looks to me this would be a simple safe way to have both; a muzzleloader and a cartridge gun all in one. Please let me know if any one is doing this and if so how is it working? Thanks in advance, Charles

It may be simple but I don't think it would be all that safe.

If you make a brass chamber set then you have to put the chamber in the rifle to load. Now you have this problem, do you put a 'live" primer in the chamber while your stuffing the powder and bullet down the barrel? Or do you put the powder and bullet in and then break open the action to prime the chamber? If you do the latter does the chamber stay positioned correctly while you're priming the rifle?

Besides that if you really want to do it this way choose a 45 caliber case there will be considerably less thurst on the action and you'll probably like the 45 caliber better especially if you are a deer hunter.

Latest posts

Back