Encore breach plugs, etc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subsonic

Reaction score
I'm sort-of new to muzzleloaders, having shot a few old-timey ones and recently purchasing a used 209x50 Magnum barrel for my Encore.

My question pertains to the breach plug. I read somewhere that they have since changed the breach plug design, and I know that the pro-hunter is completely different again, and won't fit my barrel. Which of the plugs is best that will fit?

How do I know when to replace the breach plug?

Is copper anti-sieze OK for the threads? I have it on hand.

I also get a lot of gunk back in the receiver when shooting. I read somewhere to back the breach plug up about 1/8 turn, and screw it back in just until the action will close properly with a primer seated. I tried this, and it works.

Has anyone else tried this technique and found a problem with it?

I have been using the same breech plug for 4 years. I just keep it clean.

I use the "Ron S" method on my ALL breech plugs. I wrap the plug tightly with plummers tape and coat with "slick 50" grease. The remove easily and are generally very clean.

FYI, you should grease the front shoulder of your breech plug that butts up against the barrel shoulder. This is the first seal gap where problems begin. Place a thin coating of grease on it.

Chocdog

When the breechplug stops at the shoulder...you stop. Do Not torque the breech plug. Torqueing the breech plug can create a stuck breech plug

IMO very few shooters apply grease to the shoulder area of the breech plug were it contacts the barrel shoulder. I use the T/C grey tube grease for this. I lost a extremely accurate .50 cal Encore barrel due to breech plug siezing which was my careless handling of the breech plug.

T/C did replace the barrel for free.

Chocdog

Back