Encore Spring Change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker12

Reaction score
Well I have been wanting to take my Encore apart and do a complete spring change. I have had it for 15+ years and wanted to also give it a good cleaning. Over the years I have shot everything from black powder to BH209. I saw a video on Youtube done by M-CARBO that was really one of the most thorough (how to) I have ever seen. After watching it several times I took it on. It went really well and only tricky part was getting the sear/sear spring in. I have to admit if not for the video not sure I would have been able to do it myself.

Well I have been wanting to take my Encore apart and do a complete spring change. I have had it for 15+ years and wanted to also give it a good cleaning. Over the years I have shot everything from black powder to BH209. I saw a video on Youtube done by M-CARBO that was really one of the most thorough (how to) I have ever seen. After watching it several times I took it on. It went really well and only tricky part was getting the sear/sear spring in. I have to admit if not for the video not sure I would have been able to do it myself.
Did you buy the pliers, or wing it.that spring is the tricky one without the pliers

I've done it a few times now a few different on a few different Encores. The pliers definitely make it easier and the results are worth any frustration experienced during the process.

The Mcarbo video uses a slave pin and not pliers, looks much easier.

Going to make myself a slave pin although I already have the pliers.

I used the slave pin provided by MCardo. Way easy. I would like to see how the job is done with the pliers thou.

Just changed everything in a new Encore this week with the Mcarbo spring kit. As others have said the video makes it easy. One tip I did was to taper one end of the slave pin with sandpaper. It pushed through much easier. Stock trigger was five and a half pounds, kit took mine down to just over two.

Ditto on the slave pin. I got the Bellem kit and the pliers. I ended up making a slave pin and it made the job frustration free. Lovely trigger now, on par with my encore made by TC before being gutted by S&W.

Add the Bellm 52# hammer spring, HD firing pin spring and the HD locking lug spring. Note on the 52# hammer spring................... If you already have a 2# trigger, I would not recommend the 52# but the next down IIRC 40# (?) With a 2# trigger spring, the 52# hammer spring can cause a lighter than wanted trigger.

Well I tore the Encore down again this morning and put in a full Bellm spring kit in. Came out well and the trigger breaks clean at around 2 1/2 pounds. The previous sear spring that came with the Mcarbo was way to light for a hunting gun. When compared to the TC spring and Bellm spring the Mcarbo one is obviously shorter on the one end. Its the one in the center of the picture. I was a little disappointed when Mcarbo told me to just go back to the factory sear spring if there's was too light. I bought a new kit of Mike and am very happy with it now.

Attachments

• F1D3E366-61B6-4D70-90D5-5F6900502195.jpeg
    F1D3E366-61B6-4D70-90D5-5F6900502195.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back