Experienced caster new to the ML game

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Days

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm more than just a little excited to start down this rabbit hole. I've been casting bullets for handgun and my milsurp rifles since 2006. My father recently gifted me a Knight Rolling Block (KRB) in 50 caliber that I'm looking to buy a bullet mold for. As this rifle has a 1:48 twist, I'm wondering what the heaviest cast bullet in 50 I can load for it. I have many molds from Lee, RCBS, MiHec, and NOE (my fav). I'm very interested in shooting this rifle at long range but I'm wondering what the limits are going to be, weight wise, given the restraints of the 1:48 twist. I have recently been watching all of Idaho Lewis's YouTube videos, and I really want to stretch its legs. This NOE mold is my first thought, but I will let the more experienced guys on here direct me with their experience in the stability department. Thanks, all! Happy to be here!

Regards,

KevinNOE 502-572-RF_PB_AF2__Sketch.jpg

Addendum: my twist rate is 1:28, NOT 1:48! Looks like heavies WON'T be a problem!

ROLLING BLOCK​

• Also known as the “KRB”
  • Barrel: Green Mountain Rifle Barrel, Rifle Grade Blue, or Stainless Steel
  • Barrel length: 27 inches
  • Twist rate: 1:28″, 1:26″
  • Caliber: .50, .52
  • Sights: Fully Adjustable Metallic Red Fiber Optic Rear Sight and a one piece Green Fiber Optic Bead and base. Receiver drilled and tapped for easy scope mounting.
  • Ignition: 209 Primer
  • Trigger: Removable with adjustment for pull weight
  • Stock: Composite or walnut, Checkered, recoil pad, sling swivel studs
  • Length of Pull: 13-3/4″
  • Overall length: 43-1/2″

• Weight: 7lbs 7ozs

Latest posts

Back