Experimental patch lube - rust protection

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Well I got a couple barrels out of the scrap pile, buffed them off with a scotch brite pad and then rubbed some of my patch-lube protection lube into the bare steel. I'll check on them every other day for signs of rust. We had snow last night so the humidity it up a good amount. I tweaked the rust protection a good notch by adding more and making the main compound a nice creamy texture.

What I really like, even though your fingers can get coated in the lube pretty good, just rub it into your palms and its gone without that oily slick feel like with bore butter or mink oil.

I am going to be loading up a CVA .50cal here in a bit to do some more test shooting since I adjusted the oil amount. Just have to make sure it still loads nice and easy and doesn't do anything funky. The last time out it performed awesome.

Ray, I'll get a sample tin ready to ship out either tomorrow or next week.

I may offer it as the paste form ( obviously for patches) and as a liquid form to be used purely as a rust inhibitor.

:Red tup:
Either one sounds good. If possible send me the liquid form and I'll try it as a rust stopper. I'll try it on my hand guns, shotguns, center fire rifles's, side locks and my ML'ERS. 
It will also get me to get over to my son's and get into my safe over there and see the grand son........
No rush. When ever you get time.

Ray........... :shooter:

Ray, you will like this stuff! Next time with the Hawken, bring along those thick .020" patches! Once you dope them up, they'll load like the .015" patches you normally use.

this was just 3 shots, shots 2 and 3 are the closest together with 80gr pyrodex select, .490 round balls and .020" patches at 50 yards.
img_4730.jpg

Looks thick right? Rub it with your finger and it turns to oil. This is just the excess lube that rubs off on the end of my barrel due to me using over sized .58cal patches.
img_4731.jpg

After firing. Its a very shallow 1:48 twist in this rifle. What you see is fouling. Run another patch and it loads just as easy as the first and cleans it while you ran the patched ball down.

oooooh guys I am so excited! Its almost been 2 weeks, 3 snow storms and today, one hail storm and a heavy rain storm that lasted almost an hour, patch lube/rust protection test!

I am blown by the results in such crap weather. I tested on both SS and blued barrel which was buffed down to bare steel with steelwool. I used the actual lube itself as I was trying to figure out how much such and such to put in per 4oz lube. I nailed it!

I'll get some pictures tomorrow in good light. The best part, I don't know how long they had been like this, but the barrels fell down into the mud and were covered in dirt/mud until today when I went to go check them. The results are shocking! I feel good now knowing that my bore is fully protected while hunting in crappy weather.

Perhaps I am naive, but wouldn't the liquid form be better for patches.? Just pour it on a pile of patches and allow the lube to soak through.
I could be missing something, here.
Ron

FrontierGander said:
After firing. Its a very shallow 1:48 twist in this rifle. What you see is fouling. Run another patch and it loads just as easy as the first and cleans it while you ran the patched ball down.
if that is fouling that is filling the grooves, could you please clarify for me when you say "run another patch and it loads as easy as the first. Do you mean a separate cleaning patch between the shots, or it cleans it with a patch and ball consecutively?

Loads easily consecutively shot after shot with No wiping between shots.

OIC so it cleans the fouling while you are pushing the ball down the barrel? where does the fouling go? or do you not use your lube on the patch for the next shot and it wipes on the dry patch? I would think it would push the soft fouling in the powder chamber? please explain.

lehigh valley lube 1 said:
OIC so it cleans the fouling while you are pushing the ball down the barrel? where does the fouling go? or do you not use your lube on the patch for the next shot and it wipes on the dry patch? I would think it would push the soft fouling in the powder chamber? please explain.
I took 50 shots once with Mr Flintlocks lube with no swabbing. I'm sure yours does the same thing. I suspect the fouling is being kept very soft.

Why wouldn't Jon's lube do the same thing?

Actually Muley the evaporation of the alcohol in my lube doesn't allow the residues to stick and stay soft also the alchohol is the carrier for the tall oil that leaves a thin dry viscous with water and is miscible in water so if you want to swap between shots with water the only thing you will see is the residues of where the powder chamber is.you can test this by taking a clean patch wet or dry after however many shots and you wont see the grooves filled with residues I cannot attest to Mr. Flintlock for it isn't the same formulation. I've heard of people saying that it was brown and black with his but the brown is just the color of the murphy's oil soap not the residues.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I had great results with the MYSTERY LUBE. Shot 18, could of shot more but I decided to stop there, .570 lead balls and never swabbed the barrel once and better yet, accuracy wasn't effected by not swabbing either. The patches that I found were good also. No tears or holes.
For the full report and pics go to the Traditional section and scroll down to " MYSTERY LUBE ". 
I like the lube and I will continue to use it. Cleaning wasn't a problem either. One last thing, it's good on the hands ............... 

Ray........... I give it 4  :ttups: :ttups: :ttups: :ttups:'s up :!: :!: :!:

Mr Flintlocks lube is the same color as yours as far as I can tell.

Are you talking about the residue from your lube, or the powder? Black powder is dirty, and leaves a lot of fouling. Most lubes fail in letting us take multiple shots without swabbing. Why does your lube and Mr Flintlocks allow endless shots with no swabbing? What is it doing to the powder fouling?

When you load the rifle on a clean bore, the fouling from the shot gets into that lube and basically keeps repeating the process, being swabbed, pushed down the bore on the next reload and blown back out with the patch. I've tested with Pyrodex mostly so far in the CVA Hawken rifles, and we all know how picky a sidelock can fire with bulky pyrodex.

Its not a cure all, shoot all day long patch lube as I explain in the manual that comes with the lube, as well as stated on the advertisement. But it does one thing no other lube I've used before in the past. It protects the bore against rust as the additives I mix into the base product are made strictly for that. I think the rust test I did for over a month outside in all weather proves that.

I am working on an alcohol based lubed for range shooting, but again, I will be testing it with my anti rust oil and see how well that stands up, so if a person wanted to, they could use that lube for everything, including weeks long hunts without the fear of rusting.

Next heavy testing with the current lube is in my shotgun as frog lube and bore butter always leave behind a crud ring where the over powder card sits.

I do have a bore scope so I can certainly show video as well as pictures of the chamber after firing so many shots. A neat little tool to have on hand.

Just cleaned the AK47 and lubed it inside and out with the current lube. Plan to shoot it again next week.

The 4oz plastic tubs now wear nice looking labels! I'll have to take a pic tomorrow, been up since 530am and am dragging tail. Trying to center the stuff on the label look me and my brother an hour to figure out. PDF crap sucks.

Latest posts

Back