Eye problem not sight problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a vernier tang sight and a globe front sight for my TC hawken .45 cal 1:20 twist barrel. I got it in yesterday and when I looked thru the aperture I could see what looked like a burr or fuzzy in the .050" hole. I ran a pin thru it with no effect. I tried changing the angle and still saw it. Just out of curiosity I looked thru it with my other eye and it was gone!
Looking at different size holes I poked thru a piece of paper revealed that I need to enlarge the hole to .062 or .070 for the fuzzy to be at a point where it won't affect my aim. Getting old sucks!
Yes it does

Yes it does
There are a zillion apertures out there and you can get one with a larger hole in it. Alternatively you can drill the one you have if it is not interchangeable. I have had to do the same thing. Usually 0.80 or 0.95 will solve the problem. Good luck

There are a zillion apertures out there and you can get one with a larger hole in it. Alternatively you can drill the one you have if it is not interchangeable. I have had to do the same thing. Usually 0.80 or 0.95 will solve the problem. Good luck
Not enough meat on the stem of the aperture to drill bigger than .070"

Not enough meat on the stem of the aperture to drill bigger than .070"
Well, you just answered your own problem , at least with that sight. I have a few lever guns that have open Buckhorn sights. Those sights are fine for 25yds or less. After that my eyes (72) require some assistance. I have a Williams 5D 94/36 on each one. They have interchangeable apertures, I have them both 0.80 & 0.95 . I can also take the aperture out and it becomes a "ghost ring" sight. They work well for me within my sighting limitations.

Back