Fall Mushrooms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd look for some Hen of the Woods-Chicken of the woods this fall. Probably start pretty soon. Any members who have had success with this I'd sure like to hear about it.

They can be found in any place that has adequate moisture and rich, loamy soil that stays shaded. They really like standing live oak and will cozy right up to the base of the tree, but don't pass up looking around a fallen oak especially if the bark is still on the trunk. I've plucked these mushrooms that have weighed 18-20 pounds right at the bases of big old mature oaks and after breaking them down to single petals and giving a good rinse have ended up with 5 or 6 gallon-sized bags full from each one.

They grow at random in the woods so high ground or low or in between. They aren't likely to be found in thick understory seeming to prefer their own space. They do better when its still warm. Because they have so much surface area they can tend to dry out fast if the weather has been dry....if its during a dry spell you find one that hasn't started show signs of drying, cut it since a day or two can see them ruined for drying.

Fry them up just like a regular button mushroom. Add them to scrambled eggs. Great sautéed with some sweet onion and served over a steak or thick burger. They're good just sautéed in butter and served on their own. These freeze up real nice too.

Back