Favorite knife in the deer woods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Here's mine. Over thirty years old and seen several bear an elk and maybe seventy deer in those years. Still like new and blade touch up involves about three passes on a fine diamond stone and makes the blade good for another 3-5 deer.

Aos0qdL.jpg

I know one person who slipped and fell, siding down about 60 feet of steep hillside while deer hunting and carrying a rigid blade belt knife and was stabbed in the blade by the sheathed knife, sheath and all, when the sheath flipped over on his belt. He lost a kidney in the fall.

I'm sure people have their own preferences for knives and reasons why they carry what they do. Lets hear what ya'll carry in the deer woods and why. Any brand loyalty.

When I began hunting 55 years ago I bought a Puma Game Warden as my first knife and still have it but no longer carry it. The Kershaw shown is about 33 years old now and still like new.

I carry a older Kershaw Blur assisted opening model. I like the ability to use 1 hand quickly if needed for an emergency. The grip on the old model was super hard and rough. Not a rubberized insert. Even wet or oily you have a solid grip on it.
https://www.kershaw-knives.net/category/Kershaw_Blur_Knives

Last edited:
My go to is a Gerber, it is a folding blade around 3" long with a gut hook. I've had it for 20 years or so, my sister and BIL got it for one of my birthday's years ago. It is always the first one I grab when it's time to put a knife to work. I tend to wait too long to touch up the edge, so it definitely takes more than a couple passes to get back to shaving sharpness.
I struggle the most with touching up the gut hook portion, still haven't found something that works very well on it. I currently use a small diameter tungsten rod out of an old light bulb on that part of it. Just use a fine stone for the blade edge.
Before that it was a pretty old "Old Timer" non folding blade, the blade is about 6" long. Still have it, my dad gave it to me when I started hunting with him when 12 years old but just don't need that much knife to gut and skin.

Bought this Frontier Double Eagle back in 1983. Has a locking blade and nice skinning blade. Shaving razor sharp, and is all I use to field dress, skin, and quarter a deer!

Attachments

• 31230007-460E-4C91-8D84-CB9113FDAF0C.jpeg
    31230007-460E-4C91-8D84-CB9113FDAF0C.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
I use the Havalon Piranta in titanium for field use. And for skinning I use the Tramontina 3" paring knife that I have put a double edge on with my Lansky stones. I really love the Tramontina. For deboning I use a Rapala filet knife and an old Chicago cutlery deboning knife. Sorry for TMI.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 0008944_piranta-original_600.jpeg
    0008944_piranta-original_600.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
Used a 4” Buck folder from the age of 12 till 2 years ago. Wanted to try a Havalon Piranta so bought one last summer. Love the sharpness of those scalpel blades! I suck at sharpening so being able to snap on a new blade works for me.

Been using Buck Crosslock 180s for years. Field dressed many a deer with mine. Pretty handy to have a saw and gut hook built in. Holds a sharp blade all season.

That looks like a DANDY Rig Hal :lewis:

Buck 112 For me, From Mice to Moose the Buck 112 Will get it Done :lewis: I have NUMEROUS High Quality knives i have collected over the Years, even Custom Knives, But my Buck 112s are my All time Favorites, They are the Only Knife that i carry in the Field Hunting. I have a few of the 110s as well, But i don’t care about the Extra Length, and feel no need for it. I have been inside 2 Different Moose, and Many Elk with my 112s, i never ever felt “under knifed”

q5SF7vX.jpg

Buck single blade folding knife (not in front of me so I don’t know the model looks like the one in Lew’s pic), and a Shrade Old Timer single blade folding knife, were my goto’s for years and years.
About 5 years ago I bought a Gerber, also a folding, single blade knife. I really like it as well. I pack all three in my backpack but, I suck at sharpening so I use which ever one feels the sharpest at the time.
Never tried a gut hook, I always have just put two fingers under the muscle and ran the blade between the fingers to open one up. Never nicked the paunch yet.
The only fixed blade knives I own (besides kitchen knives) are my flex duct cutters.

Buck 117 and a Knives of Alaska Cub Bear.
The Buck is about 30 years old. I'm pretty sure it was discontinued when I found this one. I saw one like it that my bro in-laws father owned and liked the design. Finally found this one new in the box/sheath (But the ends of the handle were green o_O) at a gun show in Fort Worth TX. I was down in Dallas for training at the corp headquarters for the company I work for. I could not tell you how many deer have been dressed and broke down with that Buck. Worked over a couple Bear too. i never go to hunting without it. Got it for a heck of a deal on it too. I like the little Cub Bear for caping

Attachments

• hunting knives.JPG
    hunting knives.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 9
Tell ya what though...This is my "Ol Time" favorite! Carried this on my hip for well over ten years. Schrade Old Timer! Look how worn and broke in the leather is!
Tell ya what though...This is my "Ol Time" favorite! Carried this on my hip for well over ten years. Schrade Old Timer! Look how worn and broke in the leather is!
I have the same knife for at least thirty years. An awesome blade.

Now That’s a CLASSIC! Those have been around for a LONG LONG Time, and have Stood the Test of time! I have an Old USA Made one :lewis:

Latest posts

Back