Favorite knife in the deer woods?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell ya what though...This is my "Ol Time" favorite! Carried this on my hip for well over ten years. Schrade Old Timer! Look how worn and broke in the leather is!

Is that an old Sharp Finger? I think that is what they were back in the 70's.

I had one similar many years ago.

Here's some of my favorites with the 2 Buck Woodsman's. 118, 119, and a custom Damascus.20201022_195402.jpg

Last edited:
I either have all the aforementioned knives or have had and am a fan of them all, good quality blades, but now my new favorite is a Old Timer folding lockblade guthook Knife I picked up a few years ago at Smokey Mtn. knife. I still use the others on occasion.

I have Grohmann #1 and a custom Larocca knife that I like to reach for when hunting. Whichever one I decide to take goes on my belt, and then my son takes the other. I also have a Havalon Piranta that works great, but I like to have the option of cutting through the sternum with my fixed blades. There really isn’t a bad option if it works for you. I’ve heard people discuss the blade profile of my Canadian Belt knife as being odd, but I absolutely love the leaf profile.

Attachments

• B48B39C1-AC2A-4068-B043-F749C2FDA6A9.jpeg
    B48B39C1-AC2A-4068-B043-F749C2FDA6A9.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 12
Buck 102, great little knife, from small game up to the big stuff, I prefer fixed blade for dressing game, easy to clean the knife

Tell ya what though...This is my "Ol Time" favorite! Carried this on my hip for well over ten years. Schrade Old Timer! Look how worn and broke in the leather is!

Had one of them for years. Took it down to Florida for 2 weeks of fishing....BAD IDEA around sea water. :D

I like the Mora companion fixed blade knives. They are inexpensive and keep a great edge.

Like meeting an aged hunter in the woods. He wears a red plaid Woolrich coat and a gun with the blueing worn off from years of being carried. It has a history.

I use a Gerber Bolt Action Exchange Blade. One blade with a point, and one with a gut hook. On multiple animals or an elk, I find two blades are better. I field butcher, since I'm usually miles from the truck. I don't use the saw blade, but some people like it. I just tried sharpening the gut hook with my Dremel tool with a chainsaw sharpening stone in it. Works slick. All of the young hunters I took out this year used the replaceable surgical blades. I guess they don't know how to sharpen. After watching a friend use a Rapala filet knife on an elk's ribs, I carry one too. The point is super sharp, and the flexible blade works well when deboning. I have a Warthog sharpener. By far the best I've used, but they are out of businesss. Sad.

This is my favorite skinning knife. Probably own it for 30 years.

Probably close to 30 years ago now Ma and I were previewing an estate sale and I came across this Gerber knife that had been marked a buck. I asked the people heading up the sale if I could buy it right then and they said for a buck have at it so I dug out the dollar. As I worked my way down the table after paying for the knife I found this Shrade pocket tool. For a buck again.

3JztfoQ.jpg

DpVenWJ.jpg

This knife has been a blessing for deer skinning tasks and will be back in action this afternoon. The Shrade tool goes just about anywhere with me if I am doing something outdoors as in the woods or fishing.

This Kershaw gut hook is my hands down favorite for gutting and will cut thru the rib plexus easily. For the delicate work like cutting out the tenderloins or skinning this cheap razorLite (or any swap blade) is hard to beat. Always razor sharp.
16055337182665158663723487162354.jpg

Latest posts

Back