February 2009 Ontario

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stompie

Reaction score
I took this photo 2 weeks ago of 26 deer that I saw in a field behind our home. We had a very good melt and the pressure had soared. New moon. My wife and I saw 68 deer on the same day. I hope that this works as I am new to this.

NGWSigns003.jpg

nice pic. Stompie what happened to all of ur snow ???? i don't live that far away from you and we got burried with snow ..i see ur deer have it easy and i don't believe that they "yard" up in the winter, so they will not run out of food. [i live 25 kilometers north of Montreal]

Yes you are right Blackpowder. I live in Barrie which is right in the snow corridor. We get all of the lake affect snow. This year has been a record year, and last year we had a ton of snow.

As you rightly say, I think that there are areas where they do yard up. I spend a fair ammount of time scouting in and around the Minnesing Swamp and base Borden and they seem to yard up there. Also just North of Parry Sound there is an area where they yard up in huge herds. My familly live in Collingwood and they seem to yard up but in smaller groups. There they also have access to a lot of food from farming and orchards. Actually that is why I got involved in muzzle loading. They dont have a gun season there. But down here they are fairly lucky. They have access to a lot of farmland (predominantly corn) We have had a ton of snow this year but that field melted out really quickly. It is wide open and most of the snow was blown off. We had a week where temperatures went up as high as plus 18C. That was when we took this photo. The nicest thing about this picture is the fact that there are so many fawns.

You live in a beautiful part of the world Blackpowder.

cool picture. I live in a snow belt. But some warm weather finally got here. Our deer yard up as well and still are. But I sure like to see a picture like that. Gives me hope that warm weather is on the way. I have had my fill of sub zero nights, frozen pipes, and blowing snow this year. I'd ready for some mud... :D

Back