Federal 209 A problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltchris

Reaction score
Just got my first can of Blackhorn 209 to try with my Knight Disc Extreme. I set up at 50 yds. to try a few different bullet/sabot combinations and see how ignition went. First shot with 250 gr. Shockwave & Super Glide yellow sabot and Federal 209 A primer produced a hangfire and went 5" low. Not unexpected, as the fit was way too easy (read loose). Second shot was with a 250 gr. Shockwave with the standard black sabot and good tight fit. Ignition was fine. Third shot, with same bullet/sabot combination, was touching the second shot and good ignition. Other combinations, including Knight Ultimate Slam 250 gr. with yellow sabot and Scorpion PT Gold 260 gr. with crush rib sabot (also easy loose fit) fired fine w/o ignition problems and all shots touching. HOWEVER, I had 3-4 primers that DID NOT fire (not hangfire; no ignition). Not sure of cause as all were dented. Possibly damaged primer jacket inserting into red plastic jacket (difficult), bad primers (doubt), or firing pin problem. My first thought was to order a NFJP conversion, but I like handling the enclosed primers better! Any thoughts on cause of problem???

Coltchris,

I haven't used the red plastic jackets so I'm no help there; However, Don't rule out bad primers. I had been pistol reloading for 4-6 years with out a hitch. 1st time I tried to reload for my 30-06 I had 1 out of 4 or 5 "No-Fires".
After much head scratching I finally changed primers and cured my problem.
Good Luck,

James

The Federal 209 A seem to generally need about .002 more firing pin travel to be consistent. I have seen a couple of Savage do the same thing with the Fed's that went off just fine with Win or CCI primers.

Guess I'll have to try some CCI's or Winchester primers before I do anything else. Just my luck, just bought 200 Federals!

I would suggest the win 209 as it is the longest the if it is a fireing pin problem they give the best chane of consistancy. I have always been leary of the give in those plastic holders as they stiffen in cold and soften in heat and the energy released by the 209 will change if the energy imparted by the fireing pin gets below a certain level. Lee

This does not sound like a powder problem.

Something's going on with your primer and or your striker.

Your right; I'm SURE its NOT a powder problem as the primer doesn't even go off!!!! Forgot to mention in my original post; what a pleasure to shoot Blackhorn 209 w/o the PIA of swabbing between every shot. That alone makes it worth the price!!!

The no swabbing is what White rifles are all about...us DWB's have known that for years and it doesn't matter what powder you use from pyrodex to triple seven to true blackpowder.

I hope to find some BH209 for my encore to have the same no swabbing benefits the Whites have known.

Now with BH209 no swabbing is back in the picture for non-White sabot shooters too!! 8)

Is there any chance your secondary safety was screwed in a little? That could result in a light strike and a misfire. Just a thought...

Thats the first thing I checked! Went ahead and ordered a non-FPJ plug. Don't know if it will have any effect on using these Federal primers, but wanted to try it anyway. Looks like it works great for "Busta" and others, so figured I'd give it a try.

wildhobbybobby said:
Is there any chance your secondary safety was screwed in a little? That could result in a light strike and a misfire. Just a thought...

I thought of that too...

The ONE primer I have had the LEAST problems is the CCI 209....

Thanks for all the input guys. I shot another dozen rounds today and used the Winchester 209 as suggested by a couple of you. No failures to go off, although I did have a couple slight hangfires with PT Golds (too loose a fit). Still working with only 100 gr. loads and the 250 gr. Shockwaves (or Knight equivalent) and grouping 1-2" at 100 yds. Did try a couple 200 gr. Shockwaves that grouped 1.1" at 100 yds. Still alot of work to do, but love this powder (although I haven't found a "go to" load for accuracy yet). Probably go to 110 gr. for next outing. Trying to see what it likes best before my next bullet order!

Had a lot of misfire problems with Federal primers in my two CVA guns. Lost a shot at the biggest hog I ever seen because of a misfire with a Federal primer.

Back