Felt Wad Behind PRB?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Yesterday I fired a patched round ball pushed by 80gr. of Pyrodex P 3f. Then I gave the bore a good swabbing with Windex-soaked and dry patches. Then for my next shot, I put a felt wad over the powder charge and seated the PRB over that.
Wow! A noticeable increase in recoil and noise, plus the second ball hit about six inches higher than the first! Nothing had changed except the wad. A third shot confirmed that the wad was making a big difference.
But why the difference?
I bought those wads to back up my 350gr. Buffalo Bullets, but since I happened to be shooting PRB's at that moment, I figured I'd experiment a little.
Was all that noise, recoil, and higher POI just the result of a tighter gas seal, or what?
Do you guys use felt wads and patched round balls together?

I've never felt a need for a wad. I can understand more recoil, because you're pushing out more weight and better seal. I don't get the more noise though. The higher POI could be from a better seal. Is the PRB a tight fit? How do the patches look without the wad?

Muley Hunter said:
I've never felt a need for a wad. I can understand more recoil, because you're pushing out more weight and better seal. I don't get the more noise though. The higher POI could be from a better seal. Is the PRB a tight fit? How do the patches look without the wad?

Not sure haw far you were shooting or I missed it in your post but I have to agree with Muley. I've used wads with conicals but never with PRBs. Seems to me your patch/ball combo isn't tight enough to begin with.
BTW, where are you really from in FL? I spend the winters down there. Maybe we can hook up and go shooting

If I see the patch being burned dramatically or blow apart, I will often times put a wad over the powder then seat the patch and ball. it helps protect the patch.

To answer a few questions:
The ball diameter is .495" with a T/C .018" pre-lubed striped ticking patch. Seems to fit pretty tight.
The gun is a .50 cal. Lyman Deerstalker.
The range was 86 yards.
I haven't yet been able to find any of my shot-out patches yet because my "shooting range" is merely a narrow path between walls of thick brush. Unless the patch falls onto the path, I won't find it. How far do they usually fly?
"Crackerville" is my pet nickname for my weird little neighborhood on the bank of the scenic Myakka River in Southwest Florida. The nearest big city is Englewood.

I thought I was odd by doing this?
I have an early original cased 40 bore percussion double rifle that's a belted ball - 2 groove. Has the original RB belted ball mold. I'm not a RB guy, but I wanted to shoot this nice piece - and actually hit something. I tried nearly everything with respect to powder charges, etc. Had to use very thin patches as things were very tight loading, someone even suggested that silk many have been used originally??? - then I ran across a booth at Friendship and saw a pack of 3/8" thick 54cal felt wads. Recalling this rifle bore was 0.488" and groove depth at 0.530" - I thought I'd try as it would certainly fill the deep/wide grooves.... Darn if it didn't work, barrels converged and it definitely sealed things behind the patched RB.
It's been years, but impact was higher, more recoil and I recall a louder report.

I don't recall having used a felt wad under a PRB. Burnt or torn patches have been resolved by smaller diameter balls, thicker patches, and better lube. If in doubt, .025" cotton duck cloth is the answer. Lubed with mink oil, these patches can be shot multiple times!

Patches typically fly 10-20 yards.

I wasn't aware that the "belted ball" required a patch, but a thin silk or silk like patch makes sense. Too, a lubed felt or leather wad between the ball and powder would make sense. My experiments with conicals in a .50 TC Grey Hawk included wax wads, card wads, grease cookies, and felt wads. I developed a fantastic load that shot sub 2" at 100 yards, but was so laborious to load that it was impractical. Lee REALs or TC Maxiballs are easy IF they group. Sabots can shoot very well if you don't mind wiping between shots. PRBs are my choice. If I'm expecting to need superior punch, I'll take either a .58 or a .62.

Back