Feral hog distribution in the US?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many states have feral hogs? I know that there is a concern by game departments that they will spread out. I also heard that feral hogs are pushing northward.

I used to hunt wild pigs in Florida, but it has become a tad too pricey to travel down there and then there is the cost of the hunt itself. I was curious if there were huntable populations closer to New England outside of the hunting preserves? Thank you.

If you want t start a list of states that have feral hogs here is a start.

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Missouri
Texas

I know Kansas is beganing to have a problem with them ,, North Carolina and some parts of Virginia have them

Wisconsin also has a small, but growing population.
bigbore442001 said:
Does anyone know how many states have feral hogs? I know that there is a concern by game departments that they will spread out. I also heard that feral hogs are pushing northward.

I used to hunt wild pigs in Florida, but it has become a tad too pricey to travel down there and then there is the cost of the hunt itself. I was curious if there were huntable populations closer to New England outside of the hunting preserves? Thank you.

Here's some info from Michigan's NRC's November 9th meeting minutes.
Chairman Charters called the Committee of the Whole meeting of the NRC to order at 3:06 p.m. The Committee of the Whole is a working session of the NRC.
Feral Swine Update
Alan Marble, Chief, Law Enforcement Division, distributed a November 8 press release jointly issued by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA), map showing the presence of feral swine around the state, and a fact sheet explaining how the DNR and MDA are addressing the issue. In states where feral swine have become established, they have caused crop damage, pose a serious threat to the health and welfare of the domestic swine, endanger humans, impact wildlife populations, and impact the environment by disrupting the ecosystem. Though swine are protected by the law, local prosecutors in 23 counties (Arenac, Bay, Baraga, Clinton, Cheboygan, Gladwin, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Isabella, Jackson, Lapeer, Lenawee, Marquette, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Montcalm, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw, Roscommon, and Saginaw) are allowing hunters to take these animals.
Guidelines require that hunters in one of the 23 counties, with any valid hunting license may take a wild pig should the opportunity arise. The DNR recommends that only hunters using single projectiles (slugs or bullets) harvest these animals. All normal firearm and hunting regluations apply: including hunting hours, hunter orange requirement, and restrictions of firearms by season and location within the state. Hunters are also asked to take the heads of these animials into DNR deer check stations to be tested for various kinds of disease.
[/b]

Ohio DNR requested that deer hunters should shoot feral hogs.
Hogs have been seen mostly in eastern counties and a couple western counties.

Don't know about populations, but eastern ohio is very rural and rough terrain.

Any Ohio brothers with population info or knowlegde of herds, let me know. :wink:

I cannot absolutely verify this but I heard one was taken in Mercer County, Ohio. That is on the western border of Ohio. I hope that is incorrect, they could do alot of terrain damage and would be hard to contain.

jims said:
I cannot absolutely verify this but I heard one was taken in Mercer County, Ohio. That is on the western border of Ohio. I hope that is incorrect, they could do alot of terrain damage and would be hard to contain.

That is correct Jim. They have been spotted in Auglaize, Shelby and Logan counties.

we've got a hog problem in Kansas all right, and the worst part is you can't hunt them since july of last year :evil: :evil: :evil:
here's a photo of a little squealer i shot in december '05
[/img]www.photobucket.com/albums/v699/68torino/1sthog002_edited.jpg

Why can't you shoot them anymore? Get this, in WI we can shoot them but you can't shoot them with slugs. You can only have slugs in the woods during gun deer season. I can't believe it. I can't possibly think of a logical explaination for this. Because you can shoot them with everything else.

teacherboy said:
Why can't you shoot them anymore? Get this, in WI we can shoot them but you can't shoot them with slugs. You can only have slugs in the woods during gun deer season. I can't believe it. I can't possibly think of a logical explaination for this. Because you can shoot them with everything else.

it's kind of a strange thing, with no believable answer as far as i'm concerned.
the official line is that they (KDWP & Kansas Livestock commision) are worried about disease and people importing pigs for sporting purposes :roll:

the thing is that up until july of 2006, there were NO regs on wild or feral hogs, no license or tags required to hunt, no seasons or limits.
in other words, KDWP wasn't making any money off of them.
this is probably closer to the truth IMO.
they have brought in "professional hunters" from out of state to try to totally eliminate the pigs, but guess what..... they didn't get them all.
i figure in a few years you'll be able to hunt them again once the population reaches the overload state

teacherboy said:
Get this, in WI we can shoot them but you can't shoot them with slugs. You can only have slugs in the woods during gun deer season..

I read this over a couple of time and tried to think of a logical answer. The only thing that comes to mind is if you're in the woods out of deer season with slugs, maybe you're a poacher. Could this be their thinking?

In Arkansas you can hunt them anytime on private land. On public land you can only hunt them when there is some game season open with whatever weapon is allowed for that hunting time.

Fprtunately there is coyote season open Sep thru Feb and with the spring squirrel and turkey seasons it's pretty liberal.

I hunt on private leased land so its 365 days per year. The vermin breed several times a year and have 10 or more piglets per litter so there is little danger of eliminating all of them. Down here even if you do, they will just move in from the neighbor's places as soon as you put out a deer feeder.

Back