Feral hog distribution in the US?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iowaclayshooter/Teacherboy,

Would you please suggest where I could think about booking a pig hunt in WI or IL? I live in the Northern Chicago suburbs now though I hunt deer in Southern Illinois in Calhoun County. Used to live in Appleton WI and have hunted duck at the Wolf River Bottoms public hunting grounds. None of my friends hunts pigs in either state so any information would be helpful. I would like to take them on a pig hunt to show what I enjoyed a long time ago, in a land far, far away :lol: before we moved to the US.

I would like to do an ML hunt and I think so would my close friend and business partner.

Thanks for the information in advance and good hunting!

We were told by the DNR to try around the Gays Mills area in Crawford county. Very hilly area and a lot of walking. We never saw a pig and we had about 15 guys to do drives with. I'd go again because the area is simply some of the most beautiful in our state. There were bad floods this past August so I really don't know what has happened to the low land areas we had hunted. As far as booking a pig hunt I have no idea. Have not heard of any outfitters who do this. If I can find the DNR officers number I will PM you. Good luck and if you find out more let me know. Thanks
mehulkamdar said:
Iowaclayshooter/Teacherboy,

Would you please suggest where I could think about booking a pig hunt in WI or IL? I live in the Northern Chicago suburbs now though I hunt deer in Southern Illinois in Calhoun County. Used to live in Appleton WI and have hunted duck at the Wolf River Bottoms public hunting grounds. None of my friends hunts pigs in either state so any information would be helpful. I would like to take them on a pig hunt to show what I enjoyed a long time ago, in a land far, far away :lol: before we moved to the US.

I would like to do an ML hunt and I think so would my close friend and business partner.

Thanks for the information in advance and good hunting!

Teacherboy,

Thanks. I have driven past Prairie du Chien several times but am not familiar with the area. I shall check and ask some of my friends in Wisconsin though most of them are in the Fox Valley cities and a couple are in Menomonee Falls. I'll let you know if I find something out as well.

Over the years I have shot several boar but none in the US. I would dearly like to hunt some here. I can't think of anything that is more fun.

Good hunting!

Try this guy; David Matheys Wildlife bioligist for the WI DNR.
1-608-637-3938 or [email protected]
He told us to try the Kickapoo River Wildlife Area the Bell Center Unit
I hope this helps

Teacherboy,

Thanks for the introduction to Dave Matheys. We have exchanged mails though we weren't able to speak as I was at a meeting when he called and then he was busy... He is off on an Elk hunt this week and I shall speak to him after he returns.

He did send me a wealth of information which I cannot, unfortunately, post here because I have no idea how to post a pdf, but I would be happy to send it to anyone who wants it.

Thanks again and good hunting!

Doohan said:
jims said:
I cannot absolutely verify this but I heard one was taken in Mercer County, Ohio. That is on the western border of Ohio. I hope that is incorrect, they could do alot of terrain damage and would be hard to contain.

That is correct Jim. They have been spotted in Auglaize, Shelby and Logan counties.
I'm just south of mercer county I'd vollenteer to come up and shoot some pigs
Roy

That map is somewhat out of date. Case in point: Tillman county OK is white-no hogs. Fact: Tillman county, OK is over-run with hogs.

PA

I can tell you now this is starting to be controversial in PA. Game farm operators have gone under or are not keeping up equipment. These russian pigs are getting out and traveling. You can see exactly where they are in the woods looks like a plow went threw.
Pesonally , in W.PA I know of one operator that went under and they shut his power off the fences, pigs got out in N. Butler county and the residents are shooting themfast and furious, but you will never get them all. Game Commision says speading disease and havoc. They haven' figured how to gert money out of hunting them yet. BUt they will.........
If your game commision is trying to legislate them, they have a population problem and see money $$$$. They also are warning about touching, cleaning and processing these pigs because of disease.
It is also funny that the PA game commision is trying to do inspections at these farms. I always thought that was what the local ag or FDA was for....... From what I have read they will compete w/ deer for the food and are aggresive.

Gallia and Lawrence counties in Se Ohio have plenty. Amish have done some damage to them. Still here of some crop damage though.

ShawnT

Mis-Placed Buckeye :wink:

chuck41
I live in AR, you might check this years game laws, the coyote season open July 1 if I remember right they changed it. Lee

Back