field dressing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the USMC method:
Buck
Put a zip tie around the thing a ma jig 8) , that will keep pee pee off your face.
Take your trusty Ka-bar and cut open the deer from Butthole to top of chest cavity.
Grab some innards and rip them out. Cut anying holding on and keep ripping. Stop when all the innards are out. Hose out the deer. mission complete.
Doe-
Delete the zip tie, repeat as above. :wink:

Rman's method seems pretty colorfull. did he use his teeth to rip out the innards? :D

What I do is lay the deer on it's back and cut the skin from pelvis forward. don't go too deep and cut the "innards". When you get to the brisket split it. Smaller deer can be split with the knife. Bigger deer might require a saw. I use a camp saw that folds like a jack knife and carry it in my pack. Split the pelvic bone. Once again use the saw. Carefull not cut the tissues below the bone. It's full of you know what :roll: Cut around the "whistle" and pull it forward. The gut bag comes out fairly complete. You'll have to cut the diaphram muscles. Pull the whole works out and cut off the windpipe. I agree with Rman that you now wash out the cavity. Good luck

Back