Finally got to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was finally able to get my new to me CVA Optima V2 50 cal to the range today. I have to say I was very pleased with the results for the first time out with it. I was shooting 75g weighed of BH209, Federal 209A primers and the green crush rib sabots with 44 cal bullets. The Hornady 265g FN and Speer 270g FN were very similar in how they shot, right at a 2 1/2” group at 100 yards. The 300g XTP had a 2” group until I had a flier that brought the group to just over 4”. Looks like the 300g XTP deserves some more trials before I settle on the 265g. The think the groups could’ve been tighter, but I don’t shoot using a sled, probably should though.

Also, I think my groups got better as the gun got a little dirtier. I didn’t swab at all at the range, something I have never been able to do. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

It was a good day. I am sold on BH, now I wish I would’ve bought all 10 jugs that I saw a couple of months ago. The cleaning this afternoon took a little bit longer than it does when using 777, but more time shooting at the range is definitely worth it.

I have wanted to hunt just with a muzzleloader for deer season, but always never follow through. I think this year will be the year I do it. A couple of more trips to the range should suffice In figuring out which bullet will work best.

I have wanted to hunt just with a muzzleloader for deer season, but always never follow through. I think this year will be the year I do it. A couple of more trips to the range should suffice In figuring out which bullet will work best.
Best of luck with your new muzzleloader. I hope you get dialed in & enjoy hunting with it. I love everything about hunting with a muzzleloader to my core.

no going back, I only use a muzzleloader during the gun seasons, I absolutely love it.good luck with the addiction

Are you letting the barrel cool after 3-4 shots? A cold barrel will give you better groups and replicate a hunting situation more closely.

Yes I am. I was shooting at a conservation range, so there is 15 minutes of shooting and then a cease fire for 5 to 10 minutes for everyone to go down range and reset targets. I was getting 4 shots off per 15 minute session and the barrel was cooled down by the time the cease fire was done.

Try a Harvester green EZ Load sabot on the 44 bullets. It may tighten up your groups

Greg

i too am seriously kicken around the idea of just using my muzzy for the regular deer season. i am all ready for a range day just waiting on the weather i will be shooting a knight mountaineer 50 cal 70 gbw bh209 and a 300 grn harvestor white lightning with the green crush rib sabots i have a lot of confidence this load will shoot good. i love shooting the muzzleloader so hope all goes well if so its the only weapon going to deer camp next year

My go to load is the same, only a bit more powder. 76gr. weighed. My LHR didn’t seem to care what the charge weight was, they all shot good, so I stopped just short of my fired primers getting stuck from pressure swelling.
If I went much higher I needed pliers to get the primers out of the breech plug.

i too am seriously kicken around the idea of just using my muzzy for the regular deer season. i am all ready for a range day just waiting on the weather i will be shooting a knight mountaineer 50 cal 70 gbw bh209 and a 300 grn harvestor white lightning with the green crush rib sabots i have a lot of confidence this load will shoot good. i love shooting the muzzleloader so hope all goes well if so its the only weapon going to deer camp next year

I took 10 samples at 100g by volume and weighed each and then averaged and came out at 76g by weight. I decided to go 75g by weight and was very pleased with how it shot and very little recoil. 125 yards is the longest shot I have where I hunt, so no need to go any higher.

Happy to share information. They should also have the black in the smooth version. My 50 caliber Apex would not group anything until I switched to the EZ load smooths

Greg

It was a good day. I am sold on BH, now I wish I would’ve bought all 10 jugs that I saw a couple of months ago. The cleaning this afternoon took a little bit longer than it does when using 777, but more time shooting at the range is definitely worth it.
What are you cleaning your BH209 fouled bore with? Not sure it you know it or not but you're to clean with nitro powder solvent like Hoppes #9 or Elite or similar. Not with a black powder solvent.

Latest posts

Back