Finally in the field with the Patriot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Our deer season began last Saturday and I've been chomping at the bit to give the new-to-me Patriot .45 a go as a smokeless rifle. On Saturday afternoon about 20 minutes before the daily closing time I popped a decent doe using smokeless and a 195 grain Barnes Expander in a blue sabot. Dead on and super effective medicine. I have one more tag to fill and plan to rotate between the Patriot and the Optima pistol for the remaining days of the season.

I hunt a hill that, simply stated, sucks to climb. The steep sides are just a burden to climb and I need to rest often, but I can attest to how that Patriot, being so much lighter than the other in-line rifles I own, made the climb the two days its been up the hill so much nicer. And the needle threading accuracy sure does a lot for one's confindence in the field, especially when there is hair in the sights.

I should also note that I used at 56 grain charge of IMR4198 powder. The temp on Saturday rose to near 50 but was in the twenties at sunrise. Not a real fair test as to whether the powder was a reliable cold weather powder. I use W209 Winchester primers and ignition was instant.

I was going to take a picture to post but opted not to because of the blood. And lung tissue and what I assume was pieces of the heart hanging outside the entry and exit holes. That 195 grain Expander really unleashes some energy when it hits some soft goodies. Not a bone touched, just tissues. There was lung tissue in the nostrils! Hence the pic got nixed. She dropped right now but got up and ran about 40 yards. I could not believe the mess where she was standing when hit. It was like, WOW.

I'll be loading the 225 grain, .40 Fury star tip next. Same powder and charge. I'd like to see what that bullet does.

congratulations on the doe. wishing you luck on filling your remaining tags.
so far this year I filled 2 tags and have 2 more to fill. both mine were filled with archery gear. I have 2 more weeks of archery but I'm saving 1 for the muzzleloader either during regular rifle season on late flintlock season.

Back