Finally shot my flinter today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they say a SMALL touch hole is best for instant ignition. They started using larger touch holes to help keep things consistent. I wish I could mill my own vent liner and try different sizes out.

Well, "THEY" are wrong.  Look at high speed photography done by Larry Pletcher aka Pletch. 
TC

Speaking of vent liners, 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to "cone" a liner/touch hole without disassembling the barrel to gain access for insertion of the reverse cone reamer?
2) Some liners have slots on either side of the touch hole that look like a way to remove it from the outside. Mine does not. Again, is disassembly required to change vent liners?

Notice a pattern? Always looking for the easy way out.

Muley, are those coned on both sides due to the Allen wrench hole? The photo only shows one side.

patocazador said:
Speaking of vent liners, 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to "cone" a liner/touch hole without disassembling the barrel to gain access for insertion of the reverse cone reamer?
2) Some liners have slots on either side of the touch hole that look like a way to remove it from the outside. Mine does not. Again, is disassembly required to change vent liners?

Notice a pattern? Always looking for the easy way out.
Probably will have to pull the breech plug to cone from inside.  Never used one soooo....

You can run a 1/16 bit thru the liner w it in the barrel.

Liner can usually be removed but in your case with no slot or allen head you'll need to drill and use EZout.  I say usually as builder may have installed permanently.  To replace you need to know the thread of the existing liner.  Then calculate the wall thickness (diameter across the flats - groove to groove  divide by 2).  cut the new liner so it does not protrude into the bore.  I put a nut on the liner first to straighten threads after cutting and beveling the edge of the cut.
TC

Back