Putting the old Pedersoli 12ga SxS to work today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anonymouscowherd came up this afternoon with his son. He brought his BP 12ga & his CVA .54 sidelock. We "played in the yard" today, right next to the house & shot across the back field.
No BIg Deal!
Boy did we have fun.
@eekjellander I did get busy with the Cream of Wheat & your load ( like I said I would ).
It did work fairly decent. I was shooting at LRF 30yds. It was just too far for what I could get the gun to do.
I tried 70g T7ff V with 1.5oz lead #2 shot - powder/CoW/shot/soaked fiber wad. ( Jeeezzusss those dang things are a PITA & a mess to deal with )
Then I loaded the powder, 1/2" card wad, same #2 shot but I dumped 1oz of CoW on top of the pellets, then the soaked cushion wad. That was OK.
I tried some loads wiith using a coffee filter shot wad, then a soaked cushion wad or a thin card wad.
Then I tried same powder charge, 1 7/8oz #5 shot with soft felt over powder wad, shot, thin card wad & I got some good shot density out to 25yds. The IC barrel really shocked me at the nice tight pattern it got. The thing was though, that using the front bead - No Bueno! I have to use the barrel I'm shooting being pointed at the target, slightly high & slightly right of where I want to hit.
I learned a lot today, about what works & what doesn't work so well. And I got to do a bunch of shooting & cutting up with A/C & son & some hangin out just BSing & havin a nice Irish Stout to end a wonderful day with great company. We did have a BLAST.
I'm going to do some more shooting with it, just for my own confidence in it, I had a few FTF's, which - nobody EVER wants to have happen when they're hunting.
I'll be able to hunt with it this season & I'm really very excited about it. I've taken turkey with my .40 Sececa & 180g 10mm XTP's & shot them with my Accura with light 10mm pistol bullets in sabots.
But this will be my first turkey hunt with a BP SxS shotgun. The hardest thing for me was facing the face that I wanted a 35-40yd turkey gun, and what I really have, is a 25yd turkey gun & its NOT - going to be a 35-40yd gun. Once I got done chewin on that bone, I was ok with what I have & enjoyed the hell out of shooting it a bunch today. And trying all of those different loads was fun & interesting to study the results shot to shot. Great learning experience today as well.
I only took 1 pic of all of our gear piled up on A/C's truck hood. That was our gear bench today. I broke out the ole Jim Skockys trigger sticks tripod too.
I had an old partial roll of christmas wrapping paper that we used with some stick on targets.
That was great.....except for the roll got pelted with pellets while on the ground in front of the target, so the whole damn thing got shot full of holes. It was funny unrolling it for a fresh target - already full of holes.
A/C set up a TenPin bowling ball for the ,54 sidelock with some big honkin maxi balls that put a beating on that pin.
No modern inlines today. That was a very nice change of pace for me.

Back