Finishing touches on the season.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaughlin72

Reaction score
We were lucky enough to have out group picked again this year for the Lottery Muzzeloader hunt at Lake Ophelia Reserve (east central La.)

This is the third year in a row that OUR group (4 hunters) has been picked.(usually get picked every other year)
I only have one ml, so I borrowed one from Troy and let Chris use mine, after Chris killed, I got my ml from him to use.
It was the first time that my son Chris and my buddy Jerry got to go. So I let Chris hunt the area that I normally hunt and I went about a hundred yards from him. Jerry hunted about 300 yards from me, and my buddy Troy hunted his normal spot further down the road.
Three of us were using TC 250g shockwaves and the other one was using 295g Powerbelts. All powered by 100 grains of loose Pyrodex. Two of the deer dropped instantly, and the other two ran about 40 to 50 yards then dropped.
Here's how it all went down:
First off, while we were scouting Troy's area I found a shed from a nice buck, what shocked me is that both sides were laying there about 5 feet apart. Its hard to determine exactly what the spread was, but it looks like somewhere around 18 to 20 inches.
deershed.jpg

Now for the hunt, We were gonna stay on the stands til noon, go to the truck and eat something and get back on the stands around 1.
Well Chris decided at 10 oclock that he was cold and hungry and was going to the truck. He stood up in the climbing stand and was putting his feet in the strap on the bottom peice when he saw a 115 pound doe standing 20 feet from his tree. One down.
chrislakeophelia.jpg

I went and met him with his deer, called Troy on the radio and the three of us left to go clean it, Jerry decided to stay on the stand. Before we could get back from cleaning it(about noon), Jerry had a 110 pound spike down. Second one down.
jerrylakeophelia.jpg

Now Chris and Jerry leave to go and clean his deer and Troy and I get back on our stands. Before Jerry and Chris could get back from cleaning his, I killed a little 100 pound spike(at 3:25), and Troy killed a 120 pound doe.(at 3:55) Third and fourth down.
troyandjohnnylakeophelia.jpg

With the riding and scouting we did between Friday evening and dark saturday when we left, we saw about 40 deer walking around. Most of them were in a section of the reserve that is off limits. I saw 11 at one time in the corner of one feild. Needless to say these country boys came home with the meat. A very fine end to the deer season.

What I forgot to mention is that it was my son's first ever lottery hunt and his first time muzzleloader hunting, heck even the first time pulling the trigger on a muzzleloader rifle.
Thanks again for the replies.

Hey congratulations!!! Great pics. I am really looking forward to my son's first kill. Job well done :applause:

Now that's a great play by play on your hunt. Congrats. to all that were involved. Now you get to look foward to the 2007 season. :yeah:

Back