Firing Primer After Cleaning. Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrah

Reaction score
So is there a physical or chemical reason for firing a primer (with no powder or bullet loaded) after cleaning the ML? I know part of it is to make sure the flash hole has no obstruction. But what if you look through the darned thing and it clearly has NO obstruction; you can see light. Is the primer-only "fouling shot" really necessary?

Emrah

the reason I fire a primer through a breech plug or nipple before loading a clean barrel is... I want to check the fire chamber. I want to know that the flame from that primer is reaching the breech, where my main charge will be placed. Also, if the breech plug/bolster/drum has oil in it, and you dump powder that powder can react with the oil causing a sludge of sorts. Also shooting off a primer blows that oil out, into a patch where it is trapped. There used to be a theory that you carbon coated the breech plug by shooting primers. Whether that is true I can not say. But there is some residue left by primers when you fire them. I have noted in inline rifles, that if you fire say three primers, there is a coating of such part way up the barrel from the primer ignition. Some say this helps the first shot stay with the main group.

I don't fire one after cleaning, I can look through all my breech plugs and see any obstructions and I don't want any residue in my freshly oiled barrel. I do fire 3 primers before shooting to foul the bore after I run an alcohol patch and dry patch through the barrel.

This year has been my best year for having no flyers (way off the mark and not shooter error) on a clean (primer fouling only) barrel. But I do a combo of things to try to eliminate first shot flyers:

Alcohol patch followed by dry patch
Pop 3 primers
Knurl bullets
Index sabots

Thanks guys. It was the first-shot flyer thing I was concerned about.

Emrah

Agreed with all above. On a different note, I don't usually fire off a cap on my 12 ga. White Thunder shotgun. I forgot one time (first time out that season) an it didn't matter....just ask that squirrel! :lol: :lol:

When I was hunting with my TC Hawken I always fired a cap before loading, except for one time. Guess which time the big 12 point buck walked almost right into my stand? Guess who's rifle failed to go off.....

If you oil your rifle then you need to fire a cap to be sure a tiny drop of oil is not in the torch hole to cause a misfire.

The first time I went deer hunting with my .54 Cal Renegade I poped a couple of caps, they were water proof #11 caps loaded up. While I was in my stand it started pouring, I got soaked and cold. About 10:30 am I came out of the stand, couldn't stand the rain and cold any more, I decided that I would shoot out my .54 and go home dry out and put in a new load so I could hunt the afternoon. My gun didn't go off, no mater how many times I capped it. I got home and removed the nipple and could not see thru it, I got a fine piece of wire and pushed out 2 little circular cards. The cards were from the water proof #11 caps. Never again have I ever poped a cap, not before I load, Not to foul my muzzleloader. I have never had any taype of a problem. For first shot fliers I just clean my barrel between shots, I mean clean (solvent) and lube (gun oil) I do not just use a spit patch. Never had any problems.

Back