First Alabama Buck of 2008 Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
A buddy and I hunted some public land this past weekend on the Tombigbee River in west central Alabama. I finally got an oportunity at a small buck. I was easing around Sunday morning around 9:30 through a travel corridor made up of young saplings. I kept my nose nose facing into a strong northerly wind. I had already seen a small doe, but let her pass, when I stopped, looked up and saw a deer coming towards me at 30 yards. Immediately I saw it was a buck and positioned my 50. cal Knight Elite against a sapling. The buck kept coming and I was praying that he would veer off to my right, which he did. He came to a stop at 15 yards when I whistled and placed a 300 grain XTP right behind the near shoulder. At the shot he whirled and ran back the way he came and as he did I noticed a 5 inch blood spot on the exit side of the deer midway back of the ribcage. I checked where he stood and saw a tremendous blood trail. After giving him about 30 minutes I took up the blood trail. It was the most I have seen in over 30 years of hunting. It was spraying out of both sides, 2 to 3 feet sprayed on saplings he passed. He made it about 75 yards which suprised me. He is a 2 1/2 year old and weighed about 130
pounds, which is about average. I am looking forward to the peak of the Alabama rut which usually occurs around the middle of January.

IMG_1121_1.jpg

excellent deer and story im using the same bullet too

Congratulations on the buck.. sounds like you really cleaned his clock with that load..

Good write up, congrats. I too am using a 300 gn XTP with good success and great bloodtrails. Are you using the .430 or the .452?

good job!nice deer. the deer hunting season is all but wraped-up here in michigan i didn't do so well :( but you look like your off to a great start.

I'm using the .452 XTPs. I shot a sow a couple weeks ago using the same bullet with 105 grains of 777 from my Omega. I hit her on the bridge of the nose just below the eyes. She was facing be at 22 yards. The bullet penetrated the skull and completely mushroomed, ending up in the off shoulder.

Latest posts

Back