First bow kill ever!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patinthehat1

Reaction score
Well today i finally got to sling an arrow at a deer for the first time. Missed my first shot but he circled around 30 min later and came back up the trail. Blew him away at 30 yds. Not a monster but a trophy none the less!

20131106_115628_zpsae4ce7fa.jpg

Congrats Pat! The first one with a bow is always a trophy in my book. It is a lot harder with a bow than a gun so any deer taken is special.  

What kind of bow are you using?

Congrats on your first! You will be hooked for life now! Any deer with a bow is a trophy.

:D 
CONGRATS Pat :!: :!: :!:  As far as I'm concerned, any deer taken with a bow is a trophy :cheers: 
Now, enjoy those back straps......... 8) 

Ray..............:shooter:

Thanks. It was exhilarating! I am shooting a Diamond Core. 28.5" and 62lbs. I left the 3 pin site that came on it but swapped the rest out to a trophy ridge whisker biscuit. Arrows I'm shooting Beman ICS Bowhunter 400s with a 100g Muzzy 3 blade fixed.

I thought that looked like a Diamond/Bowtech product. 

Did you have any buck fever? Is that what cause the miss on the first shot? I can't believe it but I was cool as a cucumber on my first bow kill. I have only gotten buck/doe fever using a gun. Weird huh?

You nailed it with exhilarating! Perfect description. At least that is how I feel about bow kills.

Well i had already determined anything coming in was going to get killed. needed to pop my bow cherry!  Well it took him like 20 min to come in from about 60 yds to 30 yds. he was just meandering a long. when he hit my shooting lane, he was walking so slow i had been a full draw for longer than i had practiced and i didn't try to stop him. 2nd time around he was on a mission. no sooner had he hit my shooting lane, he was almost out of it. I grunted at him as soon as i was at full draw and as i was lining up the shot. so that one was all pretty quick. i didn't have time to think about anything. muscle memory kicked in and the shot was great. went in behind the shoulder, blew through the heart, came out under the armpit of the other leg and clipped the back of his leg.

Great shot, you couldn't have done any better! Did he run far? 

People told me "if it is brown, it is down" for the first one, so that is what I did. Mine was a little 6 pointer I would pass today, but that day it was a trophy. My son was with me in the blind and he was suffering from sever buck fever and he didn't even have a bow. LOL I'll never forget the first one.

He ran about 80 yds or so. problem was he ran down a bluff into a hardwood draw. so the 30 yds back to the road took me and another guy like 30-45 min to drag him straight uphill. i think i had like 7 heart attacks going up that hill lol.

I now carry 3 large trash bags in my back pack. Why? In case I experience what you just did. I will do the gutless method and take all the meat off the bone or quarter it right were it is. Of drag it a short distance to where it is flat. This way you are only dragging out 50-75 pounds of meat on a BIG deer or maybe 30-35 on a smaller one. 

Check out the thread below. Watch the video to get an idea. I will use Muley's method as long as it isn't a trophy. I figure he didn't get old and cagey by being stupid. :twisted:  If I luck out and get something I want to mount I will use the method in the video. 

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6075-the-gutless-method

Congrats :cheers:  patinthehat..and a 30 yard-er is NEVER a given  :!:  Great pic too ;) 
--------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Fixed MUZZY's are one nasty broadhead when it comes to penetration.  A buddy of mine once blew through a shoulder blade with one of them.

Latest posts

Back