First ML Bull(5x6) killed Oct.1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I am very proud of the bull and the hunt.
The bullet on the other hand...even though it killed this elk is a diffrent story
I should have started another thread about the bullet I guess

hell yeah i'd be extremely proud of that bull as well! LOL

851 is just across the street from me, shoulda let me know you were around! Tough unit to hunt is an understatement.

would have FG if I knew that....

Killed one a few years back that was a little bigger and 6x6 with my bow in Packwood, Wa which is west of RimRock

"Colorado"
There aint elk in Colorado FG...LOL

Not to keep highjacking my on thread but what are your thoughts on that slug FG?

Alright, i know a little off topic but, how in the hell did you get that beast in the back of your truck, in one piece????

LOL..thats not the first time that question has been ask,,,,but its good.
OK
Started out with guts out,
used my 4 wheel drive quad as far as I could then winch and quad til I could get the cable of the quad winch to the pickup then up the hill with winch,quad and pickup all pulling til I got the elk into a skid road..

after that..Strong friends

As far as the slug or bullet does I know you are not to thrill with it, but you did get the bull, now if i had to make a recommendation to you I would have used the Barnes T-EZ and the reason for that is no matter where you would have hit him it would have expended and maintain the bullet weight thru out no matter whether you would have hit bone or not and from looking at the slug which basically a Hornady SST it did not expand much. One question which ML did you use.

Carlos,
Yea 100% on the TEZ's thats why I got the two packs from you. I just didnt have time to switch this rifle over to them before the hunt. That will NOT be the case next year And thats right Hornady makes the SW for T/C.
I am going to test out the TEZ's out of the Optima and the Speer DC out of the Electra this season on Whitetails in Ohio. That way I will have next years bullet picked out of the two
ML is the T/C Black Diamond XR 50cal,150g T-7 pellets,musket cap....I use this rifle here in Wa because of Wa. ML rules

Thanks for the great story coyotewallace.
Looking forward to many great stories and bullet performance reports by many member of this forum.

hey wallace there's no need to be coming to Ohio shooting up the rest of the little deer we have. :lol:

Just going for the live target practice...besides I need some where to test out bullets for next year...LOL! :lol:

well....they all got blue tongue and are dying off pretty fast so you might have to shoot groundhogs. haha. Just kidding apparently and hope you get a big one!

Thank You Mister!
Hey I'm a varmint hunter at heart(tight groups,long range and a fine red mist)...

Nothing wrong with that. I could trade you hunts sometime, I could put you on as many groundhogs as you want for a elk like you just shot. haha.

I grew up in TN & NC...I do miss putting the sneak on a ground hog.
Out this way it's coyotes and rock chucks most of the time for me.....with coyotes being most of my trigger time.
This year after big game will be steelhead fishing and coyote hunting then off to eastern Oregon for ground squirrels

I've been wanting to start coyote hunting for some time now. I'm planning on giving it a try after this deer season.

one word-"addiction"
Having your drag smoked by a 15-18lb Steelhead is 2nd to my coyote hunting.....but I loose sleep to the thought of both of them

cvilorio said:
Dude that is a great bull, you should be proud of it and the bullet you used did the job, that is all that matters. Congarts. That is the next hunt on my list and I hope I can be as lucky as you.
Carlos
X2.

A perfect load to me doesn't involve a pass through. With no exit wound it was a complete energy dump to the lung area. No wonder he only went 25 yards. You don't need perfect expansion or 100% recovery to do the job. It was a " job well-done " with excellent shot placement.

Back