First ML deer, Field report on BH209 and XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acasto

Reaction score
Shot my first ML deer in Oklahoma last weekend. A good sized doe, at least she was alot bigger than the average Texas doe.
Shot placement would have been perfect if not for the fact that she started to bolt to her left as I pulled the trigger.

Here are the facts

She was standing below me in a dry creek bed about 30 yards away.
Shooting a TC Prohunter with 100 gns by volume of BH209, pushing a Hornady XTP 300gn bullet in a Harvester crushed rib sabot. CCI 209 primer.

Bullet entered right at the last rib as she turned away from me. The entry hole was about the size of a softball with some entrails protruding. Bullet went through her chest and stopped just short of exiting the skin on the left shoulder. Her left shoulder was very bloodied and not worth harvesting. Her chest was a bloody pulp.

After the shot she went less than 20 feet and flipped end over as she went down and came to rest facing where she had been standing.

The recovered bullet weighed out at 243 gns.
I hope these pics come out.

100_0675.jpg

100_0676.jpg

100_0677.jpg

I hate that she was shot like she was, but it happened in the blink of an eye. I'm just glad she went down as quick as she did.[/img]

Well the bullet did just what it was supposed to do. Congratulations on the doe. I am sure it will be good eating.

Very seldom do we get a perfect shot. 8) Looks like you did the best you could with what you had. :wink: Congratulations! That'll be some fine eating!.... 8)

Looks like the bullet did a fine job,,too! 8)

wildhobbybobby said:
Was it a .452 or a .430 XTP? Congratulations on your deer!

Yeah that! Congratulations on the deer. 8)

Here is a pic of some 300 grain .452 XTP/MAG bullets I shot into my sand trap at 50 yards with 80 grains BH209. They are tough that is for sure. I didn't weigh them, but they sure didn't shed much weight.

025-3.jpg

Some 300 grain SST's for comparison, same powder.

020-6.jpg

And some 350 grain FPB's, same powder.

017-4.jpg

I have some 300 grain .430 XTP bullets also, but forgot to shoot those in the trap that day.

012-3.jpg

They were the .430 with the green crushed rib sabot.

Thanks for all the replies.
The meat is already at the butcher being made into dried sausage.

That's the same bullet and sabot I use. I like to shoot alot and buy them in bulk (only have 750 left...I better get on the phone to Midway). They work great, shoot accurately and don't break the bank.

Enjoy the sausage and venison chops!

wildhobbybobby I have to agree.. those .44 caliber 300 grain just seem to shoot well out of most my rifles. I have never shot a deer with them, that is why I was curious as to which XTP he was shooting. Now that Magnum did a lot better then I thought it would. In regard to expansion and holding together...

I like good field reports like this. :D

sausage

acasto, great report and pics. What is dry sausage? Never heard of that.

No dried sausage?

Are you missing out.

The butcher makes regular ring sausage and dries it for ten days. You keep it in a zip loc bag in the freezer, and take out a link when you want it. Kind of like deer jerky, but different. You just peel off the casing and eat away, after it thaws of course. It's real good when you want a quick snack.

Latest posts

Back