First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G&R

Reaction score
Picked up my first muzzleloader in August, I have been hunting deer with a rifle for 43 years and I decided this year I would get a muzzleloader, I ordered a CVA accura V2 LR from tillsonburg gun shop. I picked up some Barnes TMX spit-fire 250 gr bullets a box of white hots some Winchester 209 primers and headed to the gun range, I had it sighted in and was hitting the bullseye at 100 yards by the 7th shot. Ended up shooting a 10 pointer at 220 yards with this gun, needless to say I was impressed with the gun, I guess what they say about an old dog learning new tricks is true.

I’m really looking forward to going back out to the range and doing some more shooting, I’m enjoying shooting the muzzleloader and looking forward to doing some experimenting with it.

That qualifies as having happened. Nice buck. Congrats. But now you're screwed and will be adding to that first muzzie on a regular basis so keep your checkbook handy....and the account filled.

Last edited:
I have the same model. The Accura V2 LR. And I absolutely love it! It too is my first muzzleloader. This was also my first year hunting. I got a doe last Saturday at 60 yards out. And it was a straight through and through shot. She didn't get 10 feet before she dropped. Still waiting on my meat from the butcher. I still have 2 buck tags and my last day of muzzleloader hunting is New Year's Eve. I'm in Massachusetts. And I'm already looking to expand my muzzleloader collection. I want to hunt turkey and pheasant. But they only allow smooth bore muzzleloaders to hunt turkey and pheasant here in Massachusetts. But the smooth bore shotguns aren't easy to find. And they aren't cheap, if you can find them.

Attachments

• 20201219_165346.jpg
    20201219_165346.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 9
Congrats Shaun. I’m guessing we will see a lot more pictures from you 😊

Thanks for welcoming me to the site guys, appreciate it.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get a buck before the season is over. But I'm happy just getting the doe, if that's all I get. I got the call last night from my butcher, telling me my meat was ready. I can't wait to make some venison chili. I'm hoping to be able to butcher my own deer in the future. I just need to invest in a decent knife set, a vacuum sealer, and a meat grinder that also stuffs sausage. But right now I'd rather invest in a smooth bore muzzleloader shotgun, so I can do more hunting. I can butcher my own birds, that's easy enough.

Attachments

• 20201227_184120.jpg
    20201227_184120.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 5
It's still relevant to this thread. His buck and my doe were both shot with the CVA Accura V2 Long Range muzzleloader. The rest were just side notes. LOL

I agree. I've eaten both before. I have hunters in my family. They've been getting stingy on giving me some meat in the past few years. Which prompted me to start hunting myself. LOL It's an expensive sport. Which is why I held off for as long as I have. But with covid, I figured it would be a good to get out of the house. I bought my CVA Accura V2 Long Range muzzleloader back in July. And joined a local Sportsmen's club in August. They have a nice outdoor range. And just opened up their newly renovated indoor handgun range at the beginning of December. I'm also looking into buying a black powder revolver. I'm going back and forth on which one I want to buy first. The smooth bore muzzleloader shotgun, or the black powder revolver.

Back