First post, need new inline help.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painless

Reaction score
Hello guys, new to this forum and have a question about a new in-line muzzleloader. I have had a black knight in-line, I think it was one of the first in-line muzzleloaders to come out. I bought it new and have hunted with it for years. Last year I put the 209 conversion in it, because the #11 breech plug gave up the ghost. It has always worked and never gave me a minutes trouble. Sunday my buddies nephew ( 9 year old deer hunting fool) killed his first front-stuffer buck with my Knight. He decided and I agreed that it should be his front-stuffer from now on. Good for both of us, he gets a new muzzle-loader and so do I. Don't want to ruffle to many feathers but I have to be honest and say, I do not want a savage, I have never liked their rifles and I do not forsee me ever liking any of there other product. Same goes for the Thompson contender, and CVA as well. I want a dedicated front-stuffer, I am not going to change the barrel to a centerfire rifle as I have custom 700's in a host of chamberings. I have looked at the Omega and am somewhat impressed by it, I have also been thinking about the Knight disc extreme. I am a bolt action kinda guy so I am leaning more towards the Knight, right now. I would have loved an Austin Halleck, and I have been searching for one in the classifieds on several forums. Any info that you guys could relate would be great. Thought that I would also post some pics of me and Justin from Sunday..........Blake

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

You'd be better off staying away from Austin & Halleck. They're out of business now.

Your other two suggestions, Knight Extreme or Omega are both good choices. I've owned both and I prefer the Extreme, but that's just me. The Omega is a pretty good gun also but it really needs the 25 ACP conversion IMO to keep the action clean.

Yeah, I know they went out of business, but their wares had really nice lines and I could dig one. I really like the Knight's and that is what I will end up with. Thanks for the info..........Blake

One other question, what is the difference between the Knight disc extreme and the extreme.........Blake

painless said:
One other question, what is the difference between the Knight disc extreme and the extreme.........Blake

It's the same thing. Most People just shorten Disc Extreme to Extreme.

Yeah, I know they went out of business, but their wares had really nice lines and I could dig one. I really like the Knight's and that is what I will end up with. Thanks for the info..........Blake

They had problems. Depending on who you ask they ran from no problems to bolt problems to trigger problems.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi ... 1193195669 you couldn't go too far wrong at the price he is asking - unless the rifle itself is dorked up somehow.

I saw another one for sale at a higher price, but the guy didn't even know what he had. (incorrect description)

I've owned them. Wouldn't own another.

You might take a look at the Lyman Mustang - haven't read any real stellar reports but nothing particularly bad either. I think Semisane got his to shooting pretty dern good.

Tell Justin congrats on his deer!

Great post... I had an Austin & Halleck and the gun was a nice wall hanger.

If you insist on buying one, I have one NIB with curly maple, nickel barrel and 2 plastic stocks... One black and I will throw in a camo stock I have sitting around the house. ..

I have this gun sitting here, trying to sell it for someone else. It has never been fired.

I had never heard a bad word about the AH's until I read this on this forum. There is no way I would buy one of them now. I did talk to a guy who had one yesterday and he said his was perfect. I have never personally set eyes on one so I had no idea about them. I think that I am going to stick with the Knight as they are a known quantity to me. Again thanks for all of the input guys.........Blake

While I understand that you do not like savage guns I have to ask why? There rifles are considered by many to be the best shooting guns you can buy. Is it the looks you dont like? I personaly dont like the smokeless savage (its not that I dislike the gun) its because I feel its going to far away from traditional which is what muzzleloaders are all about plus i wouldnt feel safe shooting one to be honest.

Anyway I am a big knight fan and while I know the omega is an awsome gun and so are the knights you are looking at I would go with the knight myself. You already said you liked the bolt action so to me that pretty much sums up your decision.

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with!

Savage rifles have never shown me anything that I could not do with a REM 700. To my eyes they are the ugliest guns on the market be it centerfire or front-stuffer. My best friend has a 110 laminated stock savage 270 and it is brutal to shoot. I don't want to come off like a jerk, as I know there are some folks who love theirs and that is fine by me, I just would never spend my money on them. From what I hear they are very accurate rifles, but I have never seen one that could keep up with my Remington 700's. ..........Blake

Willliams Gunsight has the Knight KRB7 in ss/blk for 299.xx - or at least they did last week.

painless said:
Savage rifles have never shown me anything that I could not do with a REM 700. To my eyes they are the ugliest guns on the market be it centerfire or front-stuffer. My best friend has a 110 laminated stock savage 270 and it is brutal to shoot. I don't want to come off like a jerk, as I know there are some folks who love theirs and that is fine by me, I just would never spend my money on them. From what I hear they are very accurate rifles, but I have never seen one that could keep up with my Remington 700's. ..........Blake

Thats cool if thats the way you feel. I just find it odd because most competition shooters shoot savage rifles. I do agree my 7mm rem mag savage kicks like a mule but i think all 7mm rem mags kick like a mule and the accu trigger is the best in the business.

Sad thing is the year I got mine they outlawed rifles for the most part for hunting here in maryland so i never got to take it hunting. :x

I have found a Knight Disc Extreme SS for 319.00. I figure that is a fair price so I am going to get an early Christmas present......Blake

painless said:
I have found a Knight Disc Extreme SS for 319.00. I figure that is a fair price so I am going to get an early Christmas present......Blake

There you go thats a sweet rifle im sure you will love it! My new SS Disc Elite will be here thursday and I cant wait!

Bob's Guns in Mountain Home AR has an Austin Halleck in 50 cal. It has both the synthetic stock and cherry stock. His number is 870-425-7979

[

Thats cool if thats the way you feel. I just find it odd because most competition shooters shoot savage rifles. I do agree my 7mm rem mag savage kicks like a mule but i think all 7mm rem mags kick like a mule and the accu trigger is the best in the business.

Sad thing is the year I got mine they outlawed rifles for the most part for hunting here in maryland so i never got to take it hunting. :x[/quote]

I have never seen any serious competition shooter using a savage anything. All the ones that I have seen have been customs like Bat, Stolle, Nesika Bay etc...........Blake

imo you really cant go wrong w/ a knight ... pretty much any knight. i have a closet full of 'em.

painless said:

Yeah that is a really good price. I think that is a really good rifle. I had one of those and put a thumbhole stock on it which I really liked. It seemed to actually shoot better with it. I wouldn't have one of the new Austin Hallecks...actually I DID have one...and I know several others that did too...for the most part they are a waste of time and money...

If savage is out... I think a NULA would compliment your custom lineup!

Painless

First off let me WELCOME you to the Forum it is good to have you here with us.
Also give that young feller a high 5 from old LUNGBUSTER1 on his buck that is AWSOME :D

And that was a great thing you did by giving him that gun of yours, :yeah:

If you don't like the savage I respect you for that , Not every body is going to like the same gun .

I think that if you get a KNIGHT disc Extreme you won't be sorry I bought one this year and I could not be more happy it is a shooter for sure.

My load is 95gr by vol. of 2fg Triple 7 behind a 290gr Knight/Barnes Spitfire TMZ , This load gives me a 1" - 1.25" 3 shot group at 100yds. all day long with no flyers.

The OMEGA is a fine gun also .

LB1

Latest posts

Back