First shots coming soon...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK85Shooter

Reaction score
Well, my scope will be here in a couple of days so, I'm planning to shoot my new SS/Lam 10ML-II for the first time this coming weekend. I'm getting pumped. Here's my current inventory of supplies:

- 250 & 300 XTP's
- 275 XPB
- 250 SST
- MMP Black, HP12, & Harvester sabots
- 4759 & N120
- Spin Jag
- 22" Knight Power Rod
- RW Ventliners (on the way)
- Talley LW scope mounts
- 1/2 oz plastic screw top vials from Pilot Vials
- RCBS-502 powder scale & RCBS trickler
- Lee dipper set

I was going to get a Limbsaver recoil pad but none of the templates were even close to the contour of my stock. The templates that fit in length were all too wide at the top. I'm used to shooting 1-1/4oz slugs out of a 9 lb 12ga slug gun so I'm not recoil sensitive. From what I've read the loads I'm planning on trying (41-43gr of 4759 & 58-60gr of N120) aren't overly stout but I've heard the Limbsaver is a nice add-on. If nothing else, I would appreciate the extra 1/2" or so pull length it would add. I will likely get Pocampo's breechplug tool later on too.

A couple of things I'd like to comment on. First off, I've never reloaded or much less handled smokeless powder until a few days ago. I got my scale unpacked and weighed up a few powder charges for practice. I've heard this comment elsewhere, but I was amazed by how small, (by volume), charges 43gr of 4759 or 60gr of N120 actually are. In fact, I was so surprised that I weighed a few bullets and other things that I knew the weight of just to make sure that I was weighing the powder correctly. Remember, my muzzleloading experience has been with 90-120gr by volume of BP/BP subs. Some of you with reloading experience may chuckle on that one.

The other thing I noticed was my "dipping" technique with the Lee dippers always resulted in about 1.5 - 2.0 gr more than what the card that came with the dippers listed for that dipper/powder combo. More practice is in order I guess. I was able to get pretty close with the next size smaller dipper and then trickle the last few grains to get what I wanted. Practice, practice, practice...

So can you tell I'm a little excited? I'll report back with results after this weekend...

You'll have a wonderfull time and find yourself "hooked" on smokeless!

:D

Smokeless is habit forming!!! Keep us posted on the results.

MK85Shooter said:
I was going to get a Limbsaver recoil pad but none of the templates were even close to the contour of my stock. The templates that fit in length were all too wide at the top.

I had the same problem when I tried to put a Limbsaver pad on my laminated 10ML-II stock. It didn't fit even close so I sent it back. Get yourself a PAST strap on recoil pad to use when bench shooting. They work great. I don't shoot my ML's without it anymore!

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00094310010

I got a laminated stock Savage a few weeks ago. I did not even try the pre-fit limbsaver pad, I just bought a grind to fit and put it on. Did the trick of using two wraps of masking tape with the belt sander. Then went to one wrap and the belt sander. Then used scotch tape and handsanded it on down. Got lucky and did not put a mark on the stock.

I have put 50 rounds through mine, it shoots great and is a lot of fun. You will enjoy it.

I just got mine. You are way ahead of me with your supplies. I am going to a big sportsman show this weekend and will hit the Bass pro shop as well. Hoping to find some stuff there. Looking forward to hearing how it shoots. Good luck

Rick

Latest posts

Back