First Time Hunting with a Crossbow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tore my bicep last week and can't pull my compound bow back, believe me, I tried. I applied for a temporary crossbow permit and got approved. Man, this TenPoint Turbo XLT 2 crossbow can shoot! I don't like the weight or noise of it compared to my BowTech bow, but being able to hunt trumps everything.

Scope tuning with field points at 20 yards. The scope has dots at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.
crossbow with field tips (2).jpg

Fine tuning with broadheads at 20 yards. A scope adjustment was made after each shot. 1st shot is high left, second shot low left, 3rd shot in the bull. I think I'm ready :cool:
crossbow fine tuning with broadheads (2).jpg

Thank you, deermanok. Do you use shooting sticks? Anything that you discovered that helped you out in the field?
I normally hunt from a treestand. I use the rail on the stand to steady up for the shot. If ever on the ground, I'm usually sitting on the ground and I can balance my bow off my bent knee.
Definitely need a range finder if you don't have already.
I just use my crossbow in basically the same manner as I would any of my muzzleloaders.

That is awesome! I've had 7 shoulder surgeries and thinking of buying a crossbow. What would y'all suggest? Looking for quality, ease of use and moderately inexpensive. I'm not a "High-end, latest and greatest" type of guy. Thx!

That is awesome! I've had 7 shoulder surgeries and thinking of buying a crossbow. What would y'all suggest? Looking for quality, ease of use and moderately inexpensive. I'm not a "High-end, latest and greatest" type of guy. Thx!
I'm an Excalibur fan. I own 2. The GRZ2 is a good bow. Not too expensive, very accurate hunting crossbow. I prefer the simple recurve style. Easy to work on, changing strings, etc.

I have the barnett whitetail hunter. It was the lightest(6.5#), narrowest(20.75"), super quiet, less than $400. Near 400 fps(375?). They have a newer model now. Not the latest greates but barnett builds a good quality crossbow. My 3rd barnett. I shoot to 50yds for practice but 35yds is my hunting limit.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as bmvl322. Any help is appreciated. I just started a new thread a couple of minutes ago titled....

Moving to a Crossbow?

Thanks,
Bruce

This is my 9th season using a crossbow. I started out with a Parker Tornado. Sold it, too heavy for me. Bought a Excalibur Matrix 355. Nice bow but too big for me. Sold it and bought the Matrix 330.
Great bow, still have it and then I picked up a Grizzly which I really like.
Excalibur is one of the few companies left to have a lifetime warranty. Like I said, I like the simple recurve style. Don't need a bow press to work on them. To me, they're kinda like the Harley of crossbows. Only need a few tools to fix em.

I have two Wicked Ridge Invader crossbows, at about 320fps. Like others, not the lightest or most expensive but it is duarable. Dropped it from the treestand once, unloaded luckily, no damage at all. My buddy likes the recurve style and also has two excalibur bows. They are about the same weight as mine but quieter.

IMO the road to longevity and silence with the crossbow is to shoot HEAVY bolts. Don't be suckered by velocity. 350 fps with a 500-grain bolt is all you will ever need, and it will be a lot more kind to your limbs.
Ive been trying to find heavier broadheads, over 150grn, no one local carries anythong over 125grn.

Thank you, deermanok. Do you use shooting sticks? Anything that you discovered that helped you out in the field?
I too hunt with a crossbow (TenPoint Vengent 440S) for the same reasons as you and to answer your question about a shooting aid I use a Bog Deathgrip hunting out of a ground blind and it helps me tremendously. In my mind, I owe it to my quarry to do everything I can to ensure a quick, clean and humane kill. With this set up my weapon is at the ready at all times should a target appear there's less chance of me getting busted by a set of sharp eyes moving into a shooting position. And the steady hold helps ensure I hit where I intend. I also use it with my muzzleloader with great success.

Last edited:
IMO the road to longevity and silence with the crossbow is to shoot HEAVY bolts. Don't be suckered by velocity. 350 fps with a 500-grain bolt is all you will ever need, and it will be a lot more kind to your limbs.
Absolutely...better for the bow, quieter and much greater penetration. Through and through even with a heavy bone contact. I watch these hunting shows and I see these arrows sticking out of an animal as they run off and it just makes me cringe...not only is there only one hole to bleed out of, it's very obstructed by the arrow shaft.

Last edited:
I've moved to Crossbow also, and shoot Excalibur for a few years now. Currently shoot the Micro Axe model, as it's a bit smaller and handier then the Equinox I shot before. Another vote for a simple, easy to string, and unload without shooting it bow, no pulleys or wheels or extra strings.

Latest posts

Back