First time shooting the .32- I have much to learn...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keljayem

Reaction score
I was hoping for better initial results. i shot the Crockett today at 25 yards from a sandbag rest, using 20 and 25 grains of Pyrodex P, with a .310 ball and TC red/white pillow ticking patches. Both powder loads yielded the same result- 2.5 to 3 inch groups scattered over the target. I tried to be very uniform in how i seated the ball, and swabbed the bore after every shot. Anyone have any tips?

Did you recover any of the patches and study them?  New Crockett bores can be a little rough and eat patches until you get 100 or 200 shots downrange, and shredded patches produce the kind of "accuracy" you're describing.  BTW- Once my Crockett settled in, it didn't seem to care about powder charge. It was ragged hole accurate at 25 yards with just about any charge, and didn't seem to know the difference between Pyrodex P and Goex 3f black.  I settled on 15 grains because I use it only for hunting edible game (snowshoe hare), and larger charges were pretty hard on eating meat.

BrownBear said:
Did you recover any of the patches and study them?  New Crockett bores can be a little rough and eat patches until you get 100 or 200 shots downrange, and shredded patches produce the kind of "accuracy" you're describing.  BTW- Once my Crockett settled in, it didn't seem to care about powder charge. It was ragged hole accurate at 25 yards with just about any charge, and didn't seem to know the difference between Pyrodex P and Goex 3f black.  I settled on 15 grains because I use it only for hunting edible game (snowshoe hare), and larger charges were pretty hard on eating meat.
I did not recover any, it didn't even occur to me. I did attempt to be very uniform in my bullet seating, and I purchased some larger ball (.315) and some different lubed patches to try, but i wanted to stick to the same components for awhile. Eventually, i managed to get the ramrod stuck during swabbing, so the day was cut short. On an up note, we found out my wife's 10/22 loves Aguila 40 grain solids. 20 rounds into a spot the size of a quarter.

So, you think the accuracy might not be my doing?

keljayem said:
Eventually, i managed to get the ramrod stuck during swabbing, so the day was cut short.

So, you think the accuracy might not be my doing?
I expect your accuracy to increase a bunch. Your choice of components doesn't sound out of line, so I'd expect lots of improvement.  Check your patches next time and see if there's a problem.  BTW- I don't recall if you mentioned which lube you use, and that shouldn't affect accuracy much anyway. But I'm fond of a grease-type lube (I use Track of the Wolf's mink tallow) which helps keep the fouling soft and makes loading easier while requiring less frequent swabbing.

The hanging jag is chronic in Crocketts due to a gap between the back of the barrel and the face of the breech.  To avoid it, I do two things. One, I use oversize cleaning patches that extend up almost the length of the jag. Two, I rotate the rod and jag a little just as I pull on the rod.  A short cleaning patch is almost guaranteed to grab in that gap and....  Well, you've already see what can happen.

No digs on the Crockett for the early patch cutting, or for the extra precautions in swabbing. It's a dandy small game and general fun gun. I've never bothered to play with loads for 50 yard and longer shooting, though I'm pretty sure my loads would do fine. There are guys around that use theirs with larger powder charges (30 grains as I recall) for varminting out to 100 yards or so. Yeah, they're that accurate once they're broken in.

I think you mention lubed patches. Ditch them and use a lube on a dry patch. Prelubed patches suck.

BigAl52 said:
I think you mention lubed patches. Ditch them and use a lube on a dry patch. Prelubed patches suck.
Very, very good point.  Read right over it but those TC red/white pillow ticking patches have a limited shelf life, just like most prelubed patches. Start with fresh bare ticking patches and add your own lube. I bet you see an immediate improvement in accuracy.

I agree that the pre-lubed patches, particularly the bore Butter and Wonderlube patches, are bad in many ways. In addition to accuracy problems, I find that I have to clean my barrel after very few shots as it gets harder and harder to load when I use the pre-lubed patches. They also leave a residual that makes cleaning more difficult.
After I switched to dry patches that I lube myself, I could shoot many more rounds more accurately before cleaning.
Ron

You can do that if you want. But why not order up some of Jons lube from this site. His Buck Skinners lube is great stuff. Right now he has free shipping. Scroll to the bottom of the site you will see it there for sale.Al

keljayem said:
Anyone have a preferred lube? I have heard of people just using saliva.
I am a big fan of Track of the Wolf mink oil. I lube long strips, roll them tight and have yet to have it dry out on me.
The lube you use depends a lot on how you will be using the rifle. Personally, I believe in always using greased patches in any gun you plan to hunt with. Currently, the only rifles I use a spit patch with are the two Tingle rifles that were bought strictly for target and plinking. But that's just me.

Randy Johnson said:
keljayem said:
Anyone have a preferred lube? I have heard of people just using saliva.
I am a big fan of Track of the Wolf mink oil. I lube long strips, roll them tight and have yet to have it dry out on me.
The lube you use depends a lot on how you will be using the rifle. Personally, I believe in always using greased patches in any gun you plan to hunt with. Currently, the only rifles I use a spit patch with are the two Tingle rifles that were bought strictly for target and plinking. But that's just me.
I like TOW mink oil also, Can shoot a lot before bore gets bad enough to swab.

Back