flash channel solvent?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly

Reaction score
Anybody know of a solvent that will loosen the hard carbon buildup in the flash channel? Drill bit works fine just takes some effort. That stuff is hard.

Best carbon solvents ive tried are stuff like carb cleaners. Cheaper than gun solvents and you can get them almost anywhere.

I will typically pull the breech plug and pour some Hoppes' into the primer hole/flash channel. I then let it sit and soak while I clean the rest of the rifle. I clean out the breech plug using the drill bit and then blow it out with Gun Scrubber. Never had to put much effort into getting it clean using that process.

dragonfly said:
Anybody know of a solvent that will loosen the hard carbon buildup in the flash channel? Drill bit works fine just takes some effort. That stuff is hard.

The best cleaner have is a homemade tool called a 'Bit on a Stick'

Bit_on_a_Stick.jpg

But even then there are times that I will use a smaller bit then the bit of the correct size.

I get the drill bit thing. That gets it all out eventually. My question was, is there a solvent that can loosen the build up? My breech plug soaked in Hoppe's all night and the carbon buildup was still pretty hard. I don't think it did much of anything to loosen it. I'm going to try carb cleaner as GM 54 suggested.

Try Berryman's B-12 Chemtool but dont soak it in a plastic bottle. Its like $7/15oz at Walmart or $4.50 at Autozone, O'Reilly's ect. Use in a well ventilated area because it has toluene as the main ingredient. Kinda toxic so use with care. Seafoam is probably quite a bit safer.

You can always just dump the rest in your gas tank if not.

When the effort gets to be too much, one can put the drill in a motor; let the motor do the work. Stop the motor when the flash hole is met.

IMG_3793.JPG

Hand turning the drill is safest.

IMG_3792.JPG

A homeowner solvent that works on hard carbon build in/on a breech plug is:

IMG_3789.JPG

+1 on the Windex Multisurface with vinegar. It's cheap and it works for me with the heavy carbon buildup you get with BH209 in the breech plug. I just let the plug soak while I clean the barrel. By the time I get to it, the carbon comes out pretty easily.

Thanks Steve, will give that a try. If it don't work, I can clean windows :lol:

I wrapped masking tape on the chuck end of the bit I use to clean flash channels. Lots of good ideas here....I'm liking the bit on a stick thought. Thanks!.

The best solvent I've found is a little elbow grease, and these. Before anything else.

Cut out the carbon from the flame channel first, then use your solvent of choice. That way the majority comes out dry, before you have a slurry of slop.

Start with an undersized bit and work up if you have to. Only takes a few seconds with these and and hex driver. Or, a pin vise and normal bits.

Then get out your solvent. I like Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner. Is Scent-Free, and cleans in a molecular level.

If you want to stink up the house/camp, Hoppes No. 9, Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend or Blackhorn 209 Solvent work great too.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 224
While it may not be necessary after I clean my breech plugs withe either brake cleaner or Windex with Vinegar I like to use a pipe cleaner to dry the inside of the flash channel and make sure I can see through it.

edmehlig said:
While it may not be necessary after I clean my breech plugs withe either brake cleaner or Windex with Vinegar I like to use a pipe cleaner to dry the inside of the flash channel and make sure I can see through it.
+1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a tiny gas port brush (ProShot) with a small piece of patch to dry it out. Two brushes come in the pack. The larger one fits the channel well and will remove minor carbon build up. The smaller one is the one i use for drying with a piece of patch.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50306 ... ckage-of-2

For cleaning i use the hex shank drill bits and a Wheeler screw driver set. The bits fit in the driver handle or any 1/4" nut driver.

A 10 piece set at harbor freight is about $7 and it has all the sizes you could possibly need for plug cleaning.
https://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece- ... -1800.html

I use a small flashlight battery powered screwdriver and a cheap wood drill softer than BP so it cannot hurt the BP works great.

Back