Flinching issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have developed a bad flinching issue this year. I have been hunting for 22 years now and have never had this issue. It has cost me a deer this year. I am constantly hitting low. I shot a deer in the leg today. Luckily it stayed around long enough for a second shot that was true. It is not recoil related as I have even been doing it with a crossbow. I'm fine on targets, but when a deer walks in I can't make myself focus on a spot to shoot. I tell myself over and over to pick a spot to shot at then I wind up pulling the trigger without ever picking that spot.

Anyone ever have this happen. How did you get your head right? Thanks for any suggestions. I need to get this fixed.

Man I don't know on that. Never had that issue with a gun. :huh?: I have hurried a time or two from being excited, but never dealt with what you are describing.

I did at one time have an issue focusing with a compound bow, and just punching the trigger before settling in (not taking the time and picking a spot). I guess I got a form of buck fever, but it was bucks or does. Bucks were worse, I hurried everything. What I did to cure that was spend almost a whole bow season one year purposely NOT shooting. I'd pull back, aim, pick a spot, say to myself "1,2,3, gotcha", and let back down. I never would put my finger on the actual trigger... just went through the routine. After doing that about 8-10 times one season on slickheads, I was alot better. That helped a ton. I didn't even shoot a deer that year with a bow, ironically.

I guess you could do something similar with the gun? Maybe you could hunt, don't take off the safety, take aim and settle the crosshairs well, and pretend to fire. See if that settles you. I don't know what else to suggest.

I had the very same problem once about fifteen years ago. To fix the problem anytime a deer was around I would always take aim knowing I wasn't going to shoot. Just make sure you keep your finger off the trigger. If you do this you will be under no pressure to make a shot. Sure worked for me. It might just take awhile.

Thanks, I did just that today. Took aim at every animal I saw knowing I wasn't going to shoot.

I have at times found myself flinching at the range, especially when shooting something with significant recoil. After much thought I realized that I wasn't doing it while hunting because I was solely focused on the deer. Hard to explain but essentially focus on the target and not the shot if that makes sense.

Also, i was told once by a firearms instructor to use a different point on your trigger finger everytime so that it surprises you, that method seems to work too but lately I've been shooting a ML2 with the Accutrigger and I've found it akward.

Take a friend with you to the range. Have THEM load, or NOT, your loader. You don't peek. Then you "shoot". You might be surprised. I have done this exercise more than once.

alaska viking said:
Take a friend with you to the range. Have THEM load, or NOT, your loader. You don't peek. Then you "shoot". You might be surprised. I have done this exercise more than once.

This is a very good tip and has worked well for me in the past. I had a buddy that would flinch at the shot. I did this trick with him and it helped him out with the problem.

alaska viking said:

You can take that one step farther and have them pull the trigger for you. By that I mean you address the rifle on the bench, aim, etc. The friend with you reaches in and pulls the trigger. This gets you used to the sound and feel of the rifle firing but without the flinch from knowing when you're going to pull the trigger. After several shots like this, then I would go up to the method Alaska Viking mentioned. When you can fire every time without flinching, whether the gun was loaded or not, you should be good to go.

First off, slow down, putting your finger on the trigger before you have a good sight picture is like putting the cart before the horse.

Without actually seeing you shoot, and assuming you have been shooting a long time, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that what your calling a flinch is actually you forcing the weapon to fire. I have seen on occasion over the past 30 years of teaching marksmanship in the Military and Law Enforcement, shooters develop a bad habit of forcing the shot because they become complacent in the basics. I am going to guess if you think about the last time you Flinched it was "target-shoot" rather than "target-sights-squeeze". I may be off on my assessment but it won't hurt anyone to slow down remember the basics of: Sight Alignment- Sight Picture- Breath control-and a smooth trigger squeeze.

Just my 2 cents

Whimpy

alaska viking said:

This is good advice and I'm sure will help some....especially if the problem is flinching because of anticipation of the shot. It sounds to me like the real issue he's likely dealing with is what happens when its go time on LIVE GAME. He's rushing and not focusing. Anxiety, adrenaline, etc, are taking over.

To me, the only thing that I think can help is practicing on live game and NOT shooting. Allowing himself to calm down, and go through he motions...hopefully getting him back in control.

Well the good news is that if in this is due to excitement then you haven't lost the thrill of the hunt. My father always said the day that hunting becomes nolonger exciting is the day to hang it up for good. So at least your not losing your appreciation for the animal.

For this issue I suggest following the old technique of following through. Keep your sights on the target and pull that trigger slowly enough that it surprises you when it goes off and keep in mind that your focusing on keeping that sight on target both before and after that trigger is pulled. Easier without the recoil of a rifle of course but nevertheless once your body is trained to keep the sight on target it keeps that muscle memory and becomes second nature over losing focus just before you pull that trigger. Also it never hurts to ask the Lord to help make your shot true as that animal is approaching your shooting lane.

In addition after you get good with this technique on paper try doing what I do every year and go on some squirrel hunts before deer season even comes. I use a .22 and go for headshots only to not ruin any meat. The good thing with small game is that if you haven't followed through properly you are most likely to miss the animal entirely rather than wound it. You will find that when you do get the technique down you will get direct hit after direct hit. And when you do return to paper keep going for smaller targets so you have to try even harder to keep your sights on target both before and after point of impact. My .22 is scoped so I typically put up a blank sheet of paper then shoot one round into it and then use that bullet hole as the target. You are not likely to hit a target that small without following through.

I was thinking of suggesting something with a cattle prod, a bear trap, and a baseball bat. But you probably want to try a few of the previous suggestions first.. :D

What you are doing is anticipating the break of the trigger, there are several ways to deal with that, you can change the trigger setting, or use mental control by concentrating so had on the squeeze that you do not know when it will go off, there is a method of using the tip of the finger that works for some, :d'oh!: and last but not least is to shoot the gun with only primers until you master it.

The suggestions to fix your problem at the range just won't work. There's a huge difference between the range and hunting in the field. Your problem really has nothing to do with the trigger. It's a matter of focus. The longer you can focus the better. Focusing for a longer time helps you get that smooth trigger pull. I really doubt in your situation you will accomplish that at the range. The squirrel hunting suggestion sounds like it might be a good idea. Stay away from that Squeeze.

Squeeze said:
I was thinking of suggesting something with a cattle prod, a bear trap, and a baseball bat. But you probably want to try a few of the previous suggestions first.. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What it boils down to is that you need your confidence back. Ive seen this disease strike down many a great hunter. The important thing is to not let it overtake you and stick with it.

Thanks guys. Heading out to hunt camp next week. I'll give these tips a try.

Latest posts

Back