Fpj adapter vs bare primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsnake4

Reaction score
I know a few people have recommended the knight fpj bolt with the Lehigh adapter over the bare primer bolt because of the ease of loading/unloading. Can someone please explain why it’s easier. I like to K.I.S.S. Don’t really like the idea of being able to loose the adapter in the field if that’s possible. But if it’s truly wayyy easier to load and unload then I could get used to it. Also I usually have gloves on if that makes a difference and don’t want to have to use a primer tool or anything like that. If anyone has pictures that would help also. I plan on sending either to Bestill and the fpj cost a little more for him to do. Thanks

Using the bare primer bolt you have to slide the primer in the grooves in the front of the bolt. With the adapter you just drop the primer in the bolt. The adapter stays in the bolt and wont fall out unless you remove the bolt.

The grooves in the bare primer bolt can also be a bit sticky if there is the slightest bur. Im sure Bestill can clean up the bare primer bolt for you when he does the plug install. Its easy if you get a tool to load the primers. I think Knight offers one that works with the bolt.

It holds the primer by the nose and not the rim.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bare-209-primer-capper-decapper/

Well i like the bare primer bolt better. For me it just isn't very difficult to put the primer in place. Definitely is easy for me to install the primer in the bolt. After a shot, the primer just falls out of the bolt when it is opened, and the rifle tilted to the right. The adapter has always seemed funky to me. Never have liked the adapter; like the bolt without.

In the field, the adapter cannot fall off when the bolt is in the rifle. In the shop when one remove the bolt for cleaning, one need watch how the bolt is held, or the adapter will fall off. With care, the adapter is easy to keep track of.

Using the bare primer bolt you have to slide the primer in the grooves in the front of the bolt. With the adapter you just drop the primer in the bolt. The adapter stays in the bolt and wont fall out unless you remove the bolt.

The grooves in the bare primer bolt can also be a bit sticky if there is the slightest bur. Im sure Bestill can clean up the bare primer bolt for you when he does the plug install. Its easy if you get a tool to load the primers. I think Knight offers one that works with the bolt.

It holds the primer by the nose and not the rim.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bare-209-primer-capper-decapper/
I do like that you can load just by dropping in the primer. Seems a little cold fingers and glove friendly. And now that I know it can’t come out unless you take the bolt out I think that’s the way I’m leaning.

Well i like the bare primer bolt better. For me it just isn't very difficult to put the primer in place. Definitely is easy for me to install the primer in the bolt. After a shot, the primer just falls out of the bolt when it is opened, and the rifle tilted to the right. The adapter has always seemed funky to me. Never have liked the adapter; like the bolt without.

In the field, the adapter cannot fall off when the bolt is in the rifle. In the shop when one remove the bolt for cleaning, one need watch how the bolt is held, or the adapter will fall off. With care, the adapter is easy to keep track of.
Do you load the primers in the field by hand or do you use a primer loader like the one offered by knight? How is it with gloves and cold hands?

Which bolt do you feel is more weatherproof? Seems like the bare primer seals better. Thanks for opinions guys!

I like the bare primer adapter better, the primer bolt to me was a pain to get primer lined up to slide in groove seemed to end up dropping primer too much.. but my fingers on both hands have been smashed, cut to the bone, nerve damage so that may have a bit to do with it don't have very good tactile feel.

Do you load the primers in the field by hand or do you use a primer loader like the one offered by knight? How is it with gloves and cold hands?

Me, i have always loaded primers by hand; didn't know there was a tool; don't need a tool anyway. Primers load just fine with my cold hands. Never have ever tried loading a primer in any of my rifles with gloves on. Loading a primer in an Omega with a low mounted scope is more difficult than loading the bare primer bolt in the UltraLight; just my opinion.

Often i have hunted in bitter cold weather. Always wear gloves. The gloves come off several times all day long, when checking the gps, or adjusting hearing protection, or whilst squeezing the trigger, or any number of things.

Me, i have always loaded primers by hand; didn't know there was a tool; don't need a tool anyway. Primers load just fine with my cold hands. Never have ever tried loading a primer in any of my rifles with gloves on. Loading a primer in an Omega with a low mounted scope is more difficult than loading the bare primer bolt in the UltraLight; just my opinion.

Often i have hunted in bitter cold weather. Always wear gloves. The gloves come off several times all day long, when checking the gps, or adjusting hearing protection, or whilst squeezing the trigger, or any number of things.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back