Frustrated UPDATED!!! Not any more!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to get out last Saturday and shoot some BH209 and FPB's out my Omega. I had put on a new peep sight and scope on it in December. I had only bore sighted the scope.

First 3 shots were a 1 inch group with one in the bulls eye at 20 yards using the scope. I was using 100 gr. of Blackhorn with a FPB. I thought, "this is going to be a great day at the range". I moved the target to 50 yards and it only went down hill from there. My shot group moved to the right about 5 inches and it opened up to about 5 inches. I tried different amounts of powder from 85 - 110 gr. Same results.

I'm hoping that the culprit is the primers I was using, Winchester T7 primers. I didn't get to pick up any others before going out. I shot probably 30 shots with them with no misfires. I have some Federal 209A's to try this weekend.

Any suggestions?

A friend brought out a brand new Genesis and tried some 209 in it. He had some Remington ML primers that would not ignite the BH 209 in it. After the 3rd Winchester primer, it fired with a delay of almost a second after the primer fired. Any suggestions from you Genesis shooters?

Thanks,
Mitch

Re: Frustrated

Cajun said:
Well, I finally got to get out last Saturday and shoot some BH209 and FPB's out my Omega. I had put on a new peep sight and scope on it in December. I had only bore sighted the scope.

First 3 shots were a 1 inch group with one in the bulls eye at 20 yards using the scope. I was using 100 gr. of Blackhorn with a FPB. I thought, "this is going to be a great day at the range". I moved the target to 50 yards and it only went down hill from there. My shot group moved to the right about 5 inches and it opened up to about 5 inches. I tried different amounts of powder from 85 - 110 gr. Same results.

I'm hoping that the culprit is the primers I was using, Winchester T7 primers. I didn't get to pick up any others before going out. I shot probably 30 shots with them with no misfires. I have some Federal 209A's to try this weekend.

Any suggestions?

A friend brought out a brand new Genesis and tried some 209 in it. He had some Remington ML primers that would not ignite the BH 209 in it. After the 3rd Winchester primer, it fired with a delay of almost a second after the primer fired. Any suggestions from you Genesis shooters?

Thanks,
Mitch

Winchester T-7 primers are not recommened for shooting off Black Horn 209. That could very well be your problem. The standard hot primers like Remington, Winchester, Cheddite, CCI, and Federal work, but not the ones made to reduce crud ring like the Winchester T-7 primers or the Remington Kleenbore Primers.

Also make sure the primers are a semi tight fit and you are compressing the load good and hard. The BH209 needs to be compressed and with a good sealed sabot.

Re: Frustrated

Cajun said:
I moved the target to 50 yards and it only went down hill from there. My shot group moved to the right about 5 inches and it opened up to about 5 inches. I tried different amounts of powder from 85 - 110 gr. Same results.

Some guns simply don't like a 350 gr bullet???

Thanks,
Mitch

The ML designated primers are weaker than normal primers, such as to not leave as bad of a crud ring with 777. They are NOT what you want with Blackhorn 209 powder.

It's often recommended to use the CCIM(magnum) or Fed 209 primers because they are the hottest of the lot. I had issues with those two primers in my Genisis as the primer residue made the breechblock extreemely hard to open after 4-5 shots.

This was cured by going to the Remington STS primers. They are made for the sporting clays crowd and have a longer, hotter flame and the least fouling of any 209 primer (so I've read).

I shot approximately 40 shots using the Remington STS primers last Sunday with perfect ignition with BH209 and never once had an issue with the breech block sticking.

With the Genisis it's a good idea to wipe the face of the breech block every 4-10 shots with a patch and some type of cleaner such as alcohol or brake cleaner to keep the fouling there in check. That's what I've found anyways.

Primers made ALL the difference...

I got out yesterday morning in the cool crisp 6 degree air and tried out some Federal 209A primers with 85 grains of Blackhorn and a Hornady FPB out of the Omega. Wow! is all can say. It was the best I ever shot my ML. I got a 2 inch group at 100 yards using the peep sight. I can't get a 2 inch group at 100 yards with my 30-06 and scope. It's amazing how much difference the primer made. These shots are off of a shooting rest.

I was aiming for the head on the target.

Any time you can shoot a 2" group at 100 yards with open sights.. you have a keeper rifle. Nice shooting. I take it ignition was instant with the different primers as well...

Tell your friend with the Genesis to try some 200 grain Shockwaves with around 100 grains of powder, and see what he thinks of that. My Genesis loves those little missles. And from what everyone tells me, they are a good deer load.

I tried some of those T7 primers with the BH just because they were laying around my normal group with decent primers is under an inch when I tried the T& primers my Triumph shot about 50% fliers. I think it was doing a bit of hang firing and the velocity was all over the place. Lee

Yeah, it's definitely not a good idea to use a primer that isn't recommended with that powder.

As for you buddy with the Genesis... Was he using Remington KleenBore primers or Remington STS primers? If it was STS then I'd be willing to bet your buddy has a filthy breech plug. I've been firing STS primers since day one without a single issue. But if it was KleenBore's, it's because they're another one that's not recommended.

The guy with the Genesis was using the Kleenbore primers. He had tried some T7 I had and he liked it. He decided he is sticking with the T7 and didn't want to give BH another try so we traded. I gave a full bottle of T7 2F for his bottle of Blackhorn minus one shot. He's happy, I'm very happy.

One thing I didn't mention was I pulled out the red point on the FPB's and shot them as hollow points since I'm in Colorado and the FPB would be illegal in CO. for ML season with them in because that makes them longer then an inch.

glad you found the combo that will work for you. now keep on shooting!

Cajun said:
The guy with the Genesis was using the Kleenbore primers. He had tried some T7 I had and he liked it. He decided he is sticking with the T7 and didn't want to give BH another try so we traded. I gave a full bottle of T7 2F for his bottle of Blackhorn minus one shot. He's happy, I'm very happy.

One thing I didn't mention was I pulled out the red point on the FPB's and shot them as hollow points since I'm in Colorado and the FPB would be illegal in CO. for ML season with them in because that makes them longer then an inch.

That would have been his problem. Remington KleenBore primers aren't suppose to be used with BH209.

Latest posts

Back