Gallery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toytruck said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
Somebody stole one :) it should have 7 !:)

There is minor pitting at the muzzle, kinda hard to see with flashlight, but I counted six couple of times. I could be wrong tho, wouldn't be the first time. :huh?: How many do the Wilson barrels have?
I was just messing with you. My wilsons are 6

All I know its a shooter, only had it out at 25yds, but dead on bulls. I bought it for the oldest grandson, hope he will take care of it. He is in Florida an at 17, I hope he will appreciate it one day.

Hope he appreciates it also . Whites are getting harder to find and more expensive. I plan on passing mine down to the kids . I regret selling off most of mine last year but it seemed like the thing to do at the time
The ones I have left are not going anywhere .

toytruck said:
Busta said:
toytruck said:

Here is my .504 Model 97 with doc's initials on it and the crown. Ever see one like that Chet? funky or wilson crown?

That is where the "Doc Factor" comes in. I'd say that is a Bo Clerke barrel that has been partially recrowned. Could have been by the previous owner, or Doc himself?

How many lands and grooves are in the barrel? That is why I said nothing with these rifles is absolute, and especially so if it has went back through Docs hands.
six lands six grooves

I zoomed in on your barrel, and your rifling is not Clerke, it looks like Wilson which would explain the 6 lands and grooves. The Wilson rifling has 6 lands almost as wide as the grooves. The Bo Clerke rifling has 7 very narrow lands and wide grooves.

Is your barrel and receiver all one piece, or is the barrel threaded into the receiver? Don't let the step fool you, if it's 2 pieces you still see a union in the receiver just aft of the breech plug threads. Your rifle being a "MTI" branded M97 rifle means it was made the first year (1997) of Muzzleloading Technologies, Inc. The next year (1998), they changed the name to "White Rifles" Mfg. By Muzzleloading Technologies, Inc.

Yours could be an extremely early MTI, and have a different barrel than the MTI's produced later that first year, and following years?

Ok, you have me wondering, so I took it out and compaired to my .451 Model 97 named "White Rifles" Whitetail Hunter. The rifling is the same on both guns, I counted 7 lands 7 grooves on the .451 and looked at the .504 again several times, but can still only count six each. (maybe the minor pitting is to blame) Still hard to see! The .451 has the clerke muzzle as pictured above. Both guns have the same barrel ring past the breech, so I believe they are one piece and not threaded.
I bet the .504 is also a clerke barrel since the rifling is the same, but that stepped crown is surely an odd ball. I wonder how many other model 97's are made the same way?

I'm going to go out on a limb and stay zero made that way, and only that way because of the Doc Factor. The crown was probably nicked or pitted, and Doc removed that material to clean up the crown so it would pass his accurizing test? Purely a guess!

S911.jpg

Gotta love the Super 91's!! I'm taking my .504 S91 out for the late ML season this year. It hasn't been out of the safe in several years due to the .451 killing machine!

This thread was started just after the DWB forum was opened on MM. At the time Hal was doing some work on the site and we lost a bunch of pics. Just thought it might be time to update and post some new pics. So all you White horders, get em out, dust em off, and take pics, and post em.

fishhawk2700 said:
This thread was started just after the DWB forum was opened on MM. At the time Hal was doing some work on the site and we lost a bunch of pics. Just thought it might be time to update and post some new pics. So all you White horders, get em out, dust em off, and take pics, and post em.
Good idea :mrgreen:

masakimm said:
802ab9a75722c3b4f2179a95b0241932.jpg

My 2 black powder toys. Optima V2 Rifle and short rifle or long pistol.
016536e7f12a3d4c8cd0d6a6bba33f23.jpg

6f5e98f08edb2fda6ef01b7e8b461217.jpg

100 grain triple 7 pellets and 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point round never had a deer walk away from one of these that hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I believe this gallery is for Whites as it is a thread in the DWB sub forum

Re: RE: Re: Gallery

1874sharpsshooter said:
masakimm said:
802ab9a75722c3b4f2179a95b0241932.jpg

My 2 black powder toys. Optima V2 Rifle and short rifle or long pistol.
016536e7f12a3d4c8cd0d6a6bba33f23.jpg

6f5e98f08edb2fda6ef01b7e8b461217.jpg

100 grain triple 7 pellets and 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point round never had a deer walk away from one of these that hit.

I believe this gallery is for Whites as it is a thread in the DWB sub forum
Sorry tapatalk didn't show me that. my bad.

Latest posts

Back