Gell penetration test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was one DeadCenter bullet. Nothing beats actual hunting results in my mind. I have shot alot of Deer with the .44/50 300grn DC. I have shot a few Deer with the 40/50 220grn DC as well. Both bullets performed Excellant. An A plus in my book. I have shot one Deer with an SST, and saw one killed with an SST the other day. Excellant results as well. So, no big deal, shoot the one that's most accurate for you. :wink:

I agree Tom. So far I have taken quite a few deer (and one Hog) with a ML shooting: 177 grain patched roundballs, 295 & 348 grain AeroTip Powerbelts, 370 grain TC Maxiballs, 250 grain Hornady SST's, 300 Grain Barnes MZ Expanders & the 460 grain No Excuse conicals. (All 50 calibers)

Of the 7 bullets i killed deer with there was only one which I wasnt pleased with its performance....the 370 TC Maxiball. On deer sized game I got no expansion whatsoever. A very accurate bullet that I think would be outstanding on Elk & larger IMO.

The other 6 bullets performed very well for me & I wouldnt hesitate recommending them. Got good penetration & decent expansion. Much has to do with hit & fps your throwing bullet at. With 90 grains 2fg Goex out of my TC Firestorm flintlock the 295 Powerbelt expanded on 2 deer I killed with them. I did catch some ribs & spine though on both high hits shooting down from treestand. Hope to try some shorter 245 PowerBelts this flintlock season. I shot the 348's out of 1-28 twist in-lines.

Shoot what is most accurate for you, now that is some of the best advice I have heard on here in a while. I think in the discussion of muzzleloader bullets a little perspective is in order. First I have killed deer with a .357 lead hard cast 158 gr semi wadcutter at around 1400 fps. I shot the deer with a pistol a 75 yards through the top of the heart, standing broadside shot. What kills? Placement and penetration. Did I have enough to do both? Yes
Are there better choices? Yes,
What ? 14.5 MM Russian DSHK full auto cannon.
Have I shot one? Yes
Have I hunted with one? NO
How do you know it will work? Lucky guess :wink:
Point of this post?
The minimum standard in a muzzleloading projectile is one that will allow enough accuracy for proper placement, and enough penetration for proper damage to result in death to the animal at the maximum yardage required by that hunter.
SO most hunters really use MORE bullet then they need according to the standard? Yes
Why? Because more is just gravy and I am the RIfleman and I like gravy!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this makes the point AND lightens things up around here somewhat 8) 8)

Gee whiz R-man do you prefer HE or depleted Ur loads. Grouping probably isnt a factor.
Ps. looks like you found your thousand yard metal plate banger!

Latest posts

Back