Getting back into casting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denney84

Reaction score
Looking for all my grandfather's casting equipment and got to thinking. It's been a while, what do you guys recommend getting for a 'beginner'? Also what molds are your go to's? I'm looking at the I bullets, I have a couple maxi ball molds (somewhere). But want a good variety. I have 2 54cal and a 50 hawken so far, and will prob mold for my brother's 45.
Also what methods does everyone use to lube? This is something I have never done.
Thanks all! Love learning something new every day on here!

U-tube is your source of tons of information.

Looking for all my grandfather's casting equipment and got to thinking. It's been a while, what do you guys recommend getting for a 'beginner'? Also what molds are your go to's? I'm looking at the I bullets, I have a couple maxi ball molds (somewhere). But want a good variety. I have 2 54cal and a 50 hawken so far, and will prob mold for my brother's 45.
Also what methods does everyone use to lube? This is something I have never done.
Thanks all! Love learning something new every day on here!
If you go to AccurateMolds.com the I bullet molds that were designed by IdaoLewis would meet all of your needs. I have the 45-340I mold and love it.

He's a link that Ronlaughlin did for on the 45-340I. Ed' 45-340I Day Two

As far as Lube, I would go with Idaholewis recipe with Bullshops NASA lube and Sthil HP 2 cycle oil. Lew recommends using 2 bottles of the oil. You may find it a little slippery for your taste. What you can do is add just one bottle, see how you like it, if still too hard for your taste then add the second bottle. Lew's recipe for Lube is top-notch!

I also Pan Lube my bullets. I generally cast a bunch as I cast bullets for my 4 grandsons, my son and myself. I put the bullets into some pan and pour the melted lube until it covers all of the groves. Let the lube harden and push them out and then size them with the appropriate sizing die for your rifles. In melting the lube I use a double boiler pot. This way the lube won't burn or get scorched.

Last edited:
Any discussion on casting for a beginner should start with safety. Lead fumes are dangerous and you absolutely must cast in a place with good ventilation. You do not want to ever sniff lead fumes into your lungs. None. EVER. Stay upwind of the melting pot. Wear heavy leather gloves. Wear long sleeves and long pants, and boots. Do not, absolutely never ever cast where any water can splash into your molten lead. Water in lead sorta explodes and molten lead flies outa the pot onto your face. Wear safety glasses.
Casting bullets has been the way to go for a couple of hundred years. There's tons of information on the web, in many books and articles. HC already said You Tube. Read and learn and ask questions. And I agree with what Ed just said about pan lubing. Theres lotsa formulas for bullet lube too. Lotsa companies make moulds, and you apparently have some already. Read their websites to learn. Look at Buffalo Arms Company, BACO, for a lot of info. Veral Smith and Beartooth bullets too. And Lee. The Cast Bullet Society is another great source. You can read for a year on casting and not get it all. You may find lead alloying and bullet hardness to be fascination, I sure did. But do begin safely---its a great way to get bullets! And scrounging lead is fun too. And probably best of all, if you can, get with your grandfather and have him get you going.

I enjoy casting. I have Lee, Lyman and one RCBS mold. Are you casting for ml or cartridge guns?
As far as lube, I have switched from Lee Liquid Alox to powder coat. PC is easy to do, you just need a toaster type oven, pans and a pair of hemostats. I use the shake and bake method. I use the cheap red powder coat from Harbor Freight. For some reason only the red seems to stick. A plastic jar like Folgers Instant Coffee comes in works. I set my toaster oven to 150 degrees for 5 minutes with the bullets laying on the tray. After I drop them into the Folgers jar, add a little powder and shake. Repeat the process until all the bullets are covered on all sides. Then using the hemostats, pick up the bullets-don't use your fingers as this knocks the powder off the bullet-and place them base side down on the tray. It's easy to do 100 at a time. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then let them cool. They are ready to load.
Of course the toaster oven should only be used for this. I found one at Wally World for $40. They can be had cheaper at a flea market. I have loaded and shot thousands of powder coated bullets, they do not lead-keep in mind that lead buildup in the barrel comes from different sources-alloy mix, hardness of bullets, undersized bullets, pushing them too fast-keep pistol bullets under 1200 fps.
I tried pan lubing but it takes way too much time. The method probably works if you are doing low volume lubing.
Whatever good luck. Remember water and lead mixing are a no no. You can water drop cast bullets, just keep the bucket on the floor a few feet from the casting pot. Water dropping hot bullets does increase their hardness. Place a towel inside the bucket so they land on something soft and immersed in water while still soft from the casting process.

I'm will be casting to start for MLs. But I've been toying around with the idea of trying to find a few molds for a 22 hornet/ 223 and a couple others. I have heard of the powder coatings and will look into it a bit deeper. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back