Getting better, 2nd day at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramitupurs84

Reaction score
Here's my first day, mainly at 50 yards two shots at 100 yrds.(last weekend)

------------

I think I did a lot better. My first shot was at 50 yrds, with a clean gun. On paper it's the lowest one on the "6" ring. I took a second one and it was in the "9". I moved it out to 100yrds, the majority of the shots were what you see. I hit the cardboard twice, once before I cleaned it and my second to last shot at 100yrds. I also took two shots at 50yrds and they were pretty much on top of each other. No scope adjustments today. Here's two views of the target:

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

What I learned

-my gun shoots better fouled, so I will bust a cap through it before I hunt or shoot again.

-I need to use my body as a better rest. Get comfortable.

-Take my time, I love to shoot so I get to excited. The uncle said to get comfortable, eye my target, close my eyes for 5 seconds, open them; if it's not were I left try it adjust myself. Exhale and use my finger tip better(I seem to be pulling it to the left).

-The primer pulling tool from T/C sucks. So I thought up of a idea and Dad put it together while I was breaking down the firehawk. It use the ratchet screwdriver mechanism, pretty nice.

DSCN0907.jpg

-----------

Questions:

Should I adjust the trigger on it or just stick with what I have and practice with what I have since I seem to be pulling?

What do you guys think? good and bad...I like constructive criticism. I think I had 3 wonders which is my part. But still would of resulted in kills in there location.

The more that you practice the better you will get. Adjusting the trigger is up to you but you need to consider several things. I'm not familar with your paticular rifle but is it an easy fix? If it is not you should let a qualified gunsmith do and keep in mind that you are just beginning into the muzzleloading sport. Sometimes a heavy trigger is more safe until you get more experience. Don't get me wrong, I think you are doing great. I sent my CVA Kodiac Magnum back to the manufacter and had the trigger pull set at 3 pounds and I thing it really helped. You are the only person that can answer the question of lightning the trigger as to the saftey aspect. Any way you are doing great and stay at it and you will only get better!

I appreciate those words of encouragement. I am pretty novice. I did all that shooting without a "lead sled" type device. I don't know if I will be able to get another shoot in due to the season getting so close and the crowds getting nutts, you know?

Well I would not be all that discouraged with that shooting. First off, what were you shooting and what kind of powder charge were you shooting?

Try shooting off a good rest. And also this might not be the right bullet, but it looks like you have hunting accuracy for the most part. Which for now is what you're looking for.

These rifles are kind of fun to shoot...

Doing the triple 777 pellets (2), kleanbore 209 primers, 250gr shockwaves (yellow tips). That's my exact thought on the accuracy. The way I look at is, I need to just need to aim a little farther back on the deer, shoot a lot this summer and tune it. I think that will help me get my all the kinks out don't you think?

I am almost out of shockwaves. I wouldn't mind tinkering with another bullet, but I have about 8 left...

I wouldn't mind a balance of expanision and accuracy. Distance isn't huge concern. I think the way I am shooting 150 yds is my limit. Any suggestions?

Gavin[/img]

Latest posts

Back