Getting Earl Ready for Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lighthorseman

Reaction score
Earl has been a part of our program for 8 years. He has shot plenty of blanks through our Besses but hasn't shot many live muzzleloading rounds, except through an in-line he bought for our ML season up here. Pathfinder's picked up a left handed Jackie Brown fowler and as Earl is a southpaw, I offered to let him get used to hunting period style. A quality barrel, but slightly undersized bore, so my .600 rb's wouldn't work at all with a patch in this 20ga smoothie. I found some .562 rb's I use in my .58 GRRW and with a pillow ticking they worked "OK", though burning up the patches with each shot. We had to take the blade down to more than half and by end of shooting he was hitting the gong out to about 50yds. I picked up some .570 rb at October Country along with a range rod and various jags and such so he has a complete accessories separate from mine. I'm hoping that the larger ball and an assortment of patches will tighten up his paper target groupings. I noticed he was flinching an driving the muzzle downward with each shot, so we had to work on that for a while. Earl is finishing up a degree in Forest management at U Of I in December............we hope however we'll be able to hire him at the school.
Earl 8 years ago:
5ed2b723-1458-44bd-9f56-89d02603275a.jpg

Earl during hunting season last year:
5176d81c-d426-46f6-8c53-598dadd8f761.jpg

Now!
DSCN3449.jpg

Good read Doug. Wish you guys the best and I hope Earl gets hired. Could be a big asset to the school.

Ray............

My hat is off to you and your young assistant...I admire your program and leadership...

YMHS
Hilljack

Thanks guys.........we are hoping to get to a point where we are working with about 50 co-eds. I am also hoping in the near future of luring my son James away from the church in Arkansas he pastors and get him to help run the program, eventually inheriting the primary leadership role. Here's James in his clerical garb a few years back....holding Bobby Christian built "militia musket".
60c7fa3b-641a-421f-bc83-3ee7bf7c3943.jpg

Latest posts

Back